Way Back When

(The Spirit is pleased to share with our readers vignettes of life in the 19th century as originally reported in past issues of the newspapers. These reproduced stories include their original headlines and spelling.)

Local Intelligence
February 3, 1897

At Clearfield
P.P. Long, proprietor of the Racket store, in the Beyer building, G.H. Wise, of the firm of Wise Bros, and P.C. Edelblute, of the Edelblute Bros’ dry good establishment are at Clearfield this week attending court.

They were called there as witnesses in the case of the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railroad Co. against a number of Polanders of near DuBois who burglarized a freight car at Falls Creek on Sunday morning, January 24th.

Most of the goods, which consisted of rubber shoes, dry goods and thread, taken by the thieves were consigned to the above firms at this place.

A good portion of the merchandise stolen has been recovered, and the consignees expect to be remunerated for all loss by the Company.

February 20, 1897
A Close Call
Milton Bowser, a young man of McGees Mills, had a narrow escape from what might have caused instant death on last Thursday, while working for F. R. Murray, of this place on the Berwind White timber tract at Hilman station.

A crew was engaged in sawing down trees and Mr. Bowser was doing the “wedge” act in order to topple the tree over.

The pounding on the wedge jarred the tree and caused a loose limb to fall, but just as it started one of the crew noticed it and called to Bowser to look out for a falling limb.

He jumped back and almost at the same instant the limb struck his end of the saw breaking it to pieces and making an ugly hole in the groundright where Bowser had been standing.

It was a close call and Mr. Bowser did not fully recover from the shock for several days.

Arrested for Forgery
Harry Patterson, a former insurance agent of Clearfield, aged twenty-six years, who now has his office in Pittsburg, was recently arrested at that place by Sheriff Frank Smith on an information made by S. N. McCord, of Clearfield county, charging him with having forged the name of John M. Chase, Sr. to a $500 note.

Patterson was taken to Clearfield and given a hearing on Wednesday at which time he was held for court in the sum of $600 bail.

Mr. Chase is a relative of Mr. Patterson’s and denies having endorsed the note. Mr. Patterson, however says that he did but as he is getting a little old the loss of memory has been the cause of the trouble.

Patterson is a young man who has always borne a good reputation wherever he has been and he says he is not afraid of the prosecution and that he can show everything to be all right at the trial.