Way Back When

(The Spirit is pleased to share with our readers vignettes of life in the 19th century as originally reported in past issues of the newspapers. These reproduced stories include their original headlines and spelling.)

Local Intelligence
October 20, 1897

The Fine Residence of H. B. Ford Almost Destroyed

About six o'clock this morning fire was discovered in the attic of the handsome residence of H. B. Ford in the East End.

The J. A. Weber Fire Company responded as quickly as possible, and did its best to save the property, but the entire second story of the house was burned out, and the first floor was so badly damaged that it might as well have burned. Most of the furniture and household goods were saved.

The house was large and well furnished, and the loss would be about $3,000. There was $2,300 insurance on the house and $2,000 on the furniture. Most of the latter was saved.

Wanton Destruction of Game

One of the most barbarous and senseless of sports is the match hunt, where sides are chosen and a score or two of men are sent into the woods to slaughter everything in sight, with a free supper as the prize for the most game.

No better scheme could be devised for the utter extinction of all sorts of game birds and mammals from our forests. Think of it! Ransacking the woods for anything that has life, to wantonly destroy it, for the mere sake of being on the wining side!

The civilization of this century has no place for that kind of sport.
In order to discourage this unsportsmanlike conduct the recent legislature passed a law limiting the number of pheasants that may be
killed by any one person in a single day to ten quail to 15; woodcock, to 15; wild turkeys to 2. And no more than two deer may be killed by the same person in one season.

Fatal Football

At a game of football in Bellwood last Saturday between Bellwood and Tyrone, Benjamin Rich, half-back for Tyrone, was so badly injured that he died in half an hour. He was thrown heavily in making a tackle, his head striking the ground.

Dizzy and almost unconscious he left the game, and a few minutes afterwards fell over unconscious, concussion of the brain having resulted. He was twenty-three years of age, and the only support of a widowed mother.


John Ashley, who resides a short distance below Clayville, is the owner of a nice strawberry patch. This spring the vines bore a good crop. Now they are full of strawberries again.

As an evidence of this statement, Mr. Ashley sent to this office a bunch of beautiful berries, ripe and red, new plucked from the vines. A second crop of strawberries is a rare thing in this part of the country.