Rossiter home gutted by Thursday afternoon fire

Staff Writer

A quickly-spreading fire gutted the inside of a house located at 139 Central St., Rossiter, at 1:50 p.m. on Thursday. According to reports from the scene, there was heavy black smoke coming from the eaves of the home when firefighters arrived. Firefighters were able to get a quick hit on it, but the damage inside the home was significant, as the living room was gutted and the rest of the house sustained heavy smoke damage. The Rossiter Volunteer Fire Company was assisted at the scene by the Punxsutawney Fire Department, Marion Center Volunteer Fire Company and Perry Township Volunteer Fire Company, along with Jefferson County EMS. Punxsutawney Fire Department Chief Matt Powell said that the cause of the fire is believed to be electrical. Area firefighters are pictured ventilating the home. The American Red Cross is providing assistance, including lodging, to the three residents of the home. (Photo by Larry McGuire/The Punxsutawney Spirit)

Category: