Chucks hit OT winner to down Rovers boys’ soccer

PUNXSUTAWNEY — In what could be described as a see saw battle all night between two of the area’s best, Punxsy was able to record the last strike on a Trevor Peace boot 1:42 into overtime for the 5-4 boys’ soccer win over Brockway.

“It was great game of hustle, effort and guts,” said Chucks coach Phil Shenkle right afterwards. “This was a game of playoff training, as you have to have these types of games going into the playoffs.”

Peace produced a ‘hat trick’ trick to highlight the Chucks (9-3) offense. Tanner Evans added a goal and assisted on Kevin Hughes’ header off a corner kick.

Punxsy started the scoring when Evans played a through ball and booted it into the lower right corner of the goal from 20 yards at 27:27 to lead 1-0.

As was the case the entire match, Brockway would answer each home score. With just 15.7 seconds left in the first half, the Rovers tied the contest, 1-1, for the half.

The first score of the second half came early on. Only 2:11 in, Peace posted his second goal on a penalty kick after being taken down by the Brockway defense in the penalty box. The Chucks’ lead would be short lived. Just 45 seconds later, the Rovers pushed a ball past the home goalie after the Chucks failed to clear the ball on two-straight attempts to tie the match, 2-2, for a second time.

In the 50th minute, Peace put the home team in front for a third time when he deeked two Brockway players and went around the keeper and shot the ball into the empty net for a 3-2 tally.

The Rovers would not be happy to just tie the contest, but to take the lead next. At 57:54, Brockway took a center ball and took a rebound off Punxsy goalie Tristen Acre and scored for the 3-3 tie. The game remained tied for almost the next 17 minutes before the Rovers’ player blistered a free kick 35 yards from the right side to bury it over Acre’s outstretched arms for the visitors’ first lead 4-3.

After Brockway kicked the ball out across the end line, Punxsy rushed to get away a corner kick. Evans lined the ball up quickly, booted it to the center of the goal where a charging Hughes headed it home for the fourth tie, 4-4, with 4:17 left.

Neither team was able to net the game-winner in the final four minutes to bring on overtime. The Chucks went on the offensive early in overtime. At 1:42 into the extra period, Peace took a ball in the middle, made a move to the right and to the left before coming back to the right and connecting on the game-winner into the corner of the goal and 5-4 final.

“Brockway is an excellent team and most likely the favorite in District IX A,” added Shenkle. “This is a meaningful game for us to comeback and have this win.”

The victory comes after a disappointing loss on Sept. 17 when Brockway shut out Punxsy, 7-0.

Punxsy will stay home to host rival Brookville on Thursday afternoon starting at 4 p.m.