Beavers hand Chucks boys' soccer home loss

PUNXSUTAWNEY — On normal rest, some foes are a tall task, but on the second of back-to-back days makes them all the tougher.

This was the case for the second time this season for the Punxsy boys' soccer team when facing rival DuBois. After shutting out Karns City last night, Punxsy did not have enough left to face DuBois 20 hours later in a 4-1 home loss on Thursday afternoon in Punxsutawney.

"It was a good hard game. We needed it and to have good competition at the end of the season," said Chucks coach Phil Shenkle.

Brycen Lunger netted Punxsy's lone score on an assist from Trevor Peace. Goalie Tristen Acre grabbed five saves in the net.

The Beavers wasted no time pouncing on the Chucks. Only 102 seconds in the match, DuBois' Eric Scull put the first score of the game into the net.

The first score held up until the Beavers' Andrew Harman lofted a ball from the right side high enough to find the top of the left side of the goal to open a 2-0 lead at 24:16.

Tanner Evans had the home team's first good attack of the second 20 minutes. He hit a left-footed shot that slid to the right of the net missing by around a foot.

The Chucks took down a Beaver forward in the box with 11:10 remaining in the first half. After an injury stoppage, Scull booted a penalty kick to the upper left of the goal to open a 3-0 visitor lead.

At 33:22, Acre made one of the nicest defensive plays of the first half on a diving save to his left to keep the scoreboard showing 3-0 for intermission.

After the third 20 minutes of mostly midfield play between the clubs, Peace was dragged down on the left flank in the penalty box. He stepped up and uncharacteristically misfired a low penalty kick to the left of the net.

Acre produced another highlight hand save with 16:18 remaining in the action.

From that point, Punxsy worked the ball downfield until finally striking gold.

Peace hit a through ball down field to Lunger who took it in and belted a shot off the DuBois keeper hands which it continued to trickle into the net behind for the goal. The score made it 3-1 with 12:04, left in the contest.

Off a Ty Zimmerman pass, Peace took the ball back on the offense less than a minute later, only to see a shot attempt blocked.

The Beavers added one last tally at 71:14. Off a rebound, DuBois' Matt Nedzinski took a pass to the front of the net and put it into the goal before Acre could get back in position to stop it to take the game for the eventual 4-1 final.

"It will be good to play Clearfield on Monday, who we don't get to play very often, and then have a week off before getting ready for the winner of Bradford and St. Marys in the District-IX playoffs," added Shenkle.

Punxsy will kickoff with Clearfield starting at 4 p.m. on Monday.