The Angry Beavers: DuBois proves to be too much for the Chucks

PUNXSUTAWNEY — "Friday the 13th" is one of the most legendary horror movies out there. If you ask the Chucks, they probably aren't a fan.

When Punxsutawney traveled to DuBois on Friday night, they were stuck in their own horror movie, losing to the Beavers 49-7.

DuBois came out on a mission, coming off a loss to Mifflin County.
For head coach Alan Nichol, all he could do was tip his cap.

"DuBois obviously played a very good game. We thought we had a gameplan coming in, but obviously our players weren't able to execute it," Nichol said. "We came into a hornet's nest. When you have a young team, you're going to have nights like this."

DuBois had its foot on the gas from the opening kickoff. On a four-play drive, with just one interception, the Beavers took the lead on 26-yard touchdown run by Devin Clark.

Sticking with the Friday the 13th theme, the touchdown score didn't come without any controversy.

As Clark was about to reach the goaline, Dakota Thomas attempted a tackle on Clark, causing a fumble. The play, however, was ruled as a touchdown.

"You don't see it well when you're on the sideline," Nichol said. "It probably didn't make a lot of difference."

The Chucks made a routine switch at quarterback, inserting Thomas in the game for Matt Burkett. After two straight plays that resulted in losses, Thomas looked down field for a potential third-down conversion, but once again, the superstitious day reared its head, as the Beavers picked off Thomas.

After turning the ball over on downs, the Beavers marched the ball downfield, putting together a nine-play scoring drive, capped off by another Clark touchdown.

"We made a lot of mistakes. We made some last week and they didn't hurt us," Nichol said. "This week, they hurt us. You can't do that against a really good football team."

Trailing 14-0 with the Beavers looking to capitalize once again, the ball finally bounced the Chucks' way. On first down, Clark attempted a run between the tackles, but coughed up the rock. Josh Schuckers for the Chucks was able jump on the pigskin to give Punxsy the ball.

Punxsy took the ball and running back Christian Falgout gave the Punxsy fans that made the trek on 119 a reason to cheer. Falgout broke his first long run of the day for 35 yards into Beavers' territory.

As the Chucks are known to do, they kept feeding the ball to Falgout on the drive.

After converting a fourth down, Falgout took the Chucks down to the one-yard line.

Coach Nichol could just tip his cap to the Beavers as they held the Chucks to no points after a tremendous goaline stand.

"Not getting into the end zone down there really kind of swung things," Nichol said. "I didn't see us getting deflated, but I think they got more confident and used that to their advantage. You tend to get the momentum going one way, and it's hard to get it to stop."

With 99 yards to go, the Beavers orchestrated a drive for the ages, which was highlighted by a 40-yard pass from Gabe French to Cole Kriner.

Giving Clark a break, Chad O'Donnell extended the lead to 21-0.
Showing that the Chucks weren't only a victim to Friday the 13th, but also to Murphy's Law, Falgout fumbled the ball on the first play
following the score.

DuBois continued the trend, as Kriner scored from seven yards out.
On DuBois next possession, French connected on a 19-yard touchdown pass to Bryson Paulinellie.

Before halftime, the Chucks were driving down the field and looked impressive at times.

Burkett connected with Clayton Dale on an impressive 35-yard diving catch.

With the Chucks in the red zone, the effort was all-for-naught as
Burkett threw an interception.

The Beavers took a 35-0 lead heading into halftime.

"We told them you can only win your next play. Our goal at halftime was to come out and win the second half," Nichol said. "It doesn't matter what the score is; we always have
that conversation."

Falgout came out in the second half and got his 100 yards, but with a running clock, both coaches decided to rest their starters.

After another score by Clark to push the score to 42-0, the Chucks broke through on the scoreboard, as Perry Arrington ran the ball in from 12 yards out.

The Beavers would score once more before the clock hit zero.
Leading the way for the Beavers on the day were Falgout with 100 yards and Arrington with 71 yards and a score.

Burkett led the passing attack with 48 yards, while Dale hauled in three receptions for 53 yards.

For Nichol, it's just one of those games where you tip your cap and move on.

"We have to go back to the drawing board and keep working. We have to look at the tape," Nichol said. "We really had high expectations going into the game. We had no intentions of not winning this game."

The Chucks will travel to A.C. Valley next Friday.

In order to succeed Friday night, the Chucks need to put this loss behind them.

"We have to get back to the drawing board and get better. That's what a young team has to do," Nichol said. "We'll just keep working."