PUNXSUTAWNEY — Punxsutawney Borough Council did its bit to support recycling in the borough by approving the site sponsor agreement with the Jefferson County Solid Waste Authority at Monday's meeting.
Donna Cooper, Solid Waste/Recycling coordinator, said in a letter addressed to Punxsutawney Borough Council that, "she appreciated the continued partnership between the Borough and the authority in providing this beneficial public service program to borough residents, as well as throughout the county."
Ben White, borough manager, said this agreement is for the drop off containers that are located on Clearfield Street, next to the Public
Works Municipal Building, with the authority retaining ownership of the drop off containers. The borough will be held harmless from any damages or acts of vandalism to containers unless caused by the property owner or its agents.
Cooper said in the agreement that the borough will reimburse the authority $200 annually over a three-year period to assist with the purchase of the drop off containers.
She said the borough should notify the authority when the containers need serviced, and the authority — within 24 hours of notification — will notify the vendor to come and service the recycling bins.
Cooper said in the contract that either party may terminate the agreement upon 30 days written notice to the other.
Council voted to approve the new agreement, which will terminate Dec. 31, 2015.
The recycling containers are located at the entrance to the Public Works Municipal Building on Clearfield Street.
Also at Monday's meeting council approved the reappointment of:
• Jay Lundy as Borough solicitor
• The EADS Group as Borough engineers
• Sharkey, Piccarillo, Hanzely & Keene as Borough Auditors
• Emily States-Pearce as Borough Treasurer
• Mary Neal as Corporate and Borough Secretary
• David Beatty to Airport Authority (new term, expires Jan. 1, 2016)
• Dan Spencer to Zoning Hearing Board (new term, expires Dec. 31, 2017)
• Robert Barone to Planning and Zoning Commission (new term, expires Dec. 31, 2016)
Council also accepted the resignation of:
• Robert Beatty from Airport Authority
• William White from Municipal Authority
• Thomas Curry from Planning and Zoning Commission
• William Leiberton from the Police Civil Service Commission
Council announced these authority, board and commission vacancies that need to be filled:
• Planning and Zoning Commission (new term, expires Dec. 31, 2016)
• Police Civil Service Commission (new term, expires Dec. 31, 2015)
• Municipal Authority (new term, expires Dec. 31, 2017)
Council also approved these Punxsutawney Library Board resignations:
• Beverly Fairman
• Mary Steele
Council approved these appointments to the Punxsutawney Library Board:
• Cassandra Bellerillo (new term, expires Dec. 31, 2015)
• Matthew Taladay (new term, expires Dec. 31, 2014)
Council approved these reappointments to the Library Board:
• Cindy Depp-Hutchinson (new term, expires Dec. 31, 2015)
• Barbara Burkett (new term, expires Dec. 31, 2015)
Council approved the removal of:
• Allan Mahan from the Lindsey Fire Company active list
• Tabitha Mahan from the Lindsey Fire Company active list
• Donald Haines from the Lindsey Fire Company active list
• Steven Craft from the Elk Run Volunteer Fire Company active list
• Doug Scott from the Elk Run Volunteer Fire Company active list
• Linda Schmucker from the Elk Run Volunteer Fire Company active list
• Melvin Schmucker from the Elk Run Volunteer Fire Company active list
• Melanie Seyler from the Elk Run Volunteer Fire Company active list
In other business:
• Council approved the transfer of Frank Wittenburg from Elk Run Fire Company to Lindsey Fire Company active list.
• Council approved the Lindsey Fire Company 2013 active list:
— Merle Aikens, Ben Bishop, Ken Bishop, Dustin Brooks, Ron Cielo, Bill Clement, Matt Clinger, Courtney Cole, Robert Corso Jr., Mary Craft, Russel Craft, Joe Defelice Jr., Tom Gaffney, Ken Haag, George Hanley, Robert Hartman, Paul Hense, Tom Kanouff, Michael Kostok, Steven Kostok, Robert Means, Jim Murdock, Bill Murray, Justin Noerr, J.R. Overly, Paul Pape, Pete Pape, Mike Porada, William Spencer, Josh Wachob, Gene Wenner, Denise Williams, William Williams, Frank Wittenburg, William M. Wolfe, and Gregory Zeok.
— Peter P. Pape, president/chaplin; Kenneth Bishop, vice president; Thomas I. Gaffney III, secretary; and Courtney Cole, treasurer.
• Council approved Resolution 2013-1, which appointed Emily States-Pearce, delegate to the Jefferson Ccounty Tax Collection Committee and Susan Mitchell as the first alternate delegate.
• Council approved Resolution 2013-2, the Jefferson County Tax Committee Operating Budget for 2013.
The next council committee meeting is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 5, and the regular council meeting at 7 p.m. Monday, Feb. 11, both at council chambers at the Mahoning East Civic Center.