(Editor’s note: Each year, the editorial staff at The Spirit dives into the stacks from the past year’s papers to bring you a Year In Review, highlighting some of the biggest news stories to take place over the year. Today, Assistant Editor Megan Reiter brings you the top news stories from the months of January, February and March.)
• Gavin Alan Boggs was born at 7:17 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 2, making him the first baby born in Punxsutawney in the year 2012. He weighed in at 8 pounds, 4 ounces, and measured 20.25 inches in length. Gavin is the second son of Anthony Boggs Jr. and Candice Burkett of Punxsutawney.
• Punxsutawney Mayor James Wehrle swears three newly elected Borough Council members into office at council's Jan. 2 reorganization meeting. New members Michele Lorenzo, Toby Santik and Eric Story took the oath of office. Larry Chenoga was unanimously elected council president.
• Bryan Smith is sworn in as the new Punxsutawney Fire Department chief, kicking off a two-year term.
• Sen. Joe Scarnati (R-25), of Brockway, was sworn in as president pro tempore of the Pennsylvania Senate for 2012. It was the sixth time Scarnati was elected as president pro tempore, a distinction bestowed on him by his Senate colleagues.
• Derek Michael Reed was born at 8:05 p.m. on Wednes day, Jan. 4., at DuBois Regional Medical Center. Weighing 8 pounds, 9 ounces, Derek, the son of Elizabeth and Michael Reed of Brookville, was the first baby from Brookville to be born in 2012.
For the full Year In Review, see Thursday's print edition of The Spirit.