PUNXSUTAWNEY — Due to the increased usage of Punxsutawney Area School District facilities on Sunday, the school board discussed some alternatives to the fee schedule at Wednesday's school board committee meeting.
"We would like to add a phrase to our facilities use form to let people know if they are using it on Sunday, they will pay the hourly rate and custodial fees at whatever the rate would be," said Susan H. Robertson, Punxsutawney Area School District business manager.
Robertson said there are a number of events coming that will be held on a Sunday, and the custodial staff is paid double time if the event is on a Sunday.
Dr. Keith Wolfe, district superintendent, said the the alumni football game was held on a Sunday, and there are more events scheduled all the time.
Wolfe said the flat rate of $100 for the event includes the custodial fee, and on Sunday, the extra $10 should be charged. The board will vote on the change at its voting meeting in October.
In other business:
• Wolfe said there is a request from the Girl Scouts to have the facilities fee waved for a program called Discovery Girl Reading Literacy program.
"They will actually come in for eight days between now and November — all girls K-3 at Jenks Hill Elementary School," Wolfe said, adding that it is not for the organization to hold its regular Girl Scout meetings.
He said the Scouts are trying to provide a reading service for elementary aged girls.
• The board will be asked to vote on the purchase of classroom supplies from Kurtz Brothers in the amount of $5,938.63.
• The board will also vote on the resignations of Debra Washburn, cafeteria staff, effective Sept. 17, and William "Bud" Phillips, van/warehouse, effective Sept. 20.
• The board will vote on a child rearing leave for Lauren Saylor to begin on or about Feb. 13, 2013 through the end of the school year.
• The board will also vote on several athletic resignations: Todd Heigley, boys' tennis head coach; D.J. Gould, junior high wrestling coach; and Mark Smith, junior high wrestling volunteer.
The next Punxsutawney Area School Board meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. Monday, Oct. 8 at the Central Office Board Room.