BIG RUN — Jefferson County Commissioner Jim McIntyre was the featured speaker at the 19th annual Spring Peeper Banquet Sunday.
“I was told by Big Run Mayor Joseph Buterbaugh that my talk should not be political,” he said, adding that he believes that both Republicans and Democrats alike would agree on the ending of the story he was about to tell.
“When I’m at a county commission meeting, I’m bound by Roberts Rules of Order,” McIntyre said. “When I’m at meetings at home, I go by Eilene’s (McIntyre) Rules of Order, even though I’m the boss.”
McIntyre said he is well-known to not only his wife, but to many people in these parts as a Victorian Peeper poet laureate.
He said he had been busy composing a poem that he wanted to present at Sunday’s banquet that tells the entire Peeper story.
Following the reading of his poem, McIntyre presented the “Top Five Reasons Why it’s Great to be a Frog:”
5. Chicks are always kissing you because they think you’ll turn into a prince.
4. Green goes with absolutely everything!
3. You can scratch “hard to reach places” with your tongue.
2. You’re above toads on the food chain!
1. Flies in your soup are a bonus.
McIntyre thanked the banquet committee for choosing him to speak to the many Peepers followers.