Council: No tax increase in 2012
PUNXSUTAWNEY — Punxsutawney Borough Police Chief Tom Fedigan was granted a new four-year contract at Monday's meeting, but it was not unanimous.
The vote was four council members in favor of the motion — Susan Glessner, Donna Lellock, William Spencer and Roger Steele — with Larry Chenoga and Mike Porada voting no.
Council member Robert Reesman did not vote, as he had left the meeting early due to illness.
Also at Monday's meeting, council:
• Approved the 2012 budget with no tax increase.
• Approved Ordinance No. 1114 for 2012 that taxes valuation assessed for county purposes at the following millage rates with each mill being the equivalent of $0.10 on each $100 of assessed valuation, all under the authority of the Local Tax Enabling Act:
• 10.0 mills for general borough purposes.
• 0.90 mills for the purchase of fire engines, fire apparatus and fire hose and for the purpose of making appropriations to the fire department for payment of operational expenses and related purposes.
• 0.60 mills to maintain or aid in the maintenance of a local library for the use of residents of the borough.
• 0.45 mills for the purpose of making permanent street improvements.
n 0.75 mills for the purpose of lighting and illuminating the streets, highways, and other public places.
• 0.15 mills for the purpose of providing recreational facilities, support and maintenance.
• 0.15 mills for the purpose of providing pensions, retirement or the purchase of annuity contracts for borough employees.
General Purpose Fund
• Administration — $377,383
• Police Department — $687,815
• Codes and Zoning — $10,198
• Public Works — $308,156
• Special — $664,241
Total expenditures and Revenues — $2,047,793
• Council also approved Emily States-Pearce as the primary voting delegate for the Jefferson County Tax Collection Committee. and Susan Mitchell as the first alternate voting delegate.
• Council approved free parking on downtown streets and in borough lots during the holiday season and Groundhog Day.