OLIVEBURG — The owners of a house in Oliveburg were fortunate when a basement fire burned itself out just before firefighters arrived on the scene Tuesday.
Oliver Township firefighters, along with McCalmont Township, Perry Township and Knox Dale, were called to the scene of a basement fire at the Colin Hicks residence at 102 Haag Rd., Oliveburg, at noon Tuesday.
Oliver Township Fire Company Assistant Chief John Miller said the owners were working with gasoline in the basement, which is also an attached garage, when they spilled gas on the floor, which ignited the hot water tank.
Miller said fortunately, the fire burned itself out just as firefighters arrived.
Miller said firefighters hosed out the basement and ventilated the house, which had begun to fill with heavy smoke before the fire went out.
Firefighters were assisted at the scene by Jefferson County EMS. There were no injuries reported.