- Local Guide
1. I didn't get a chance to mention this last week, but the teams that Punxsy's baseball and softball teams lost to in the PIAA playoffs â€” Northern York for baseball, Valley for softball â€” both won a state title. For the Lady Chucks, that's three-straight years they were eliminated by the eventual state champion, and if you count their 2006 state title game defeat, that's four times in six years. Sometimes having bad luck schedule-wise can lead to your season ending sooner than expected.
2. As I showed up late to Punxsy's Minor League baseball All-Star game Sunday afternoon, I couldn't complain one bit about the lack of close parking spots. It was great to see such a supportive showing by the Punxsy and St. Marys fans alike. Hopefully, as the weather continues to become warmer, the crowds keep coming to cheer on Punxsy's All-Stars.
3. The NHL expanded its hits to the head rule after numerous concussions occurred this past season. Instead of just blind side hits being penalized, all hits to the head from anywhere on the ice and from any direction will be penalized. I doubt that includes punches to the head.
4. With age finally catching up to him, it appears that Derek Jeter will have a prolonged stay on the disabled list. More than ever, a switch to second base is necessary. Shortstop is the one of the sport's most demanding positions, and without healthy legs, Jeter shouldn't be there anymore.
5. Remember when the United States' quarterfinal berth in the 2002 World Cup was the soccer breakthrough the country needed? Over the past decade, the U.S. has continued to take steps backward, with Sunday's 4-2 loss to Mexico in the CONCACAF Gold Cup being the last straw. Head coach Bob Bradley needs to go, and he needs to go now.
6. Hearing that Evgeni Malkin is ahead of schedule sounds great and all, but the future of the Penguins rests on the concussion recovery of Sidney Crosby.
7. With the losses of top-seeded Caroline Wozniacki and perennial favorites Serena and Venus Williams, the women's 2011 Wimbledon winner is up in the air. On the men's side, it's almost all chalk, and another top-four semifinals in a major seems likely.
8. The Pirates proved they are here to stay by winning two out of three games against the Red Sox this weekend.
9. The Steelers should sign RB Tiki Barber. What's the worst that can happen? He'll enter camp as a backup, and if he flames out, the Steelers still have Rashard Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore, if they re-sign him.
10. Ben Roethlisberger should have foot surgery. It doesn't look like this NFL season is starting anytime soon.View more articles in: