Toaster the cause of Mahoning Towers fire

PUNXSUTAWNEY — It was no false alarm at Mahoning Towers Sunday morning when an appliance fire damaged an apartment around 7:30 a.m.

Punxsutawney Assistant Fire Chief Scott Depp said a toaster caught fire in apartment 402 and caused some fire damage in the kitchen area, especially the cupboards.

Depp said Punxsutawney Borough Police were first on the scene and knocked down the fire with an extinguisher.

Matt Powell, Central Fire Department captain, said there was heat and water damage as firefighters utilized water from the Mahoning Towers’ fire suppression system to extinguish any fire that may have spread into the walls.

There was no word whether or not the tenants were able to remain in the apartment pending repairs due to the fire.

In addition to Central, both Lindsey and Elk Run fire companies assisted at the scene with Tower 40 on stand by in case it was needed at one of Punxsutawney's tallest buildings.

There were no injuries, and Jefferson County EMS also assisted at the scene.

You Might Also Like