Skip to main content

Self-extinguishing flames save firefighters some work

April 26, 2011

Oliver Township firefighters along with three other companies were called to a basement fire at the Colin Hicks residence at noon Tuesday at 102 Haag Rd., Oliveburg. (Larry McGuire/The Punxsutawney Spirit)

OLIVEBURG — The owners of a house in Oliveburg were fortunate when a basement fire burned itself out just before firefighters arrived on the scene Tuesday.

Oliver Township firefighters, along with McCalmont Township, Perry Township and Knox Dale, were called to the scene of a basement fire at the Colin Hicks residence at 102 Haag Rd., Oliveburg, at noon Tuesday.

Oliver Township Fire Company Assistant Chief John Miller said the owners were working with gasoline in the basement, which is also an attached garage, when they spilled gas on the floor, which ignited the hot water tank.

Miller said fortunately, the fire burned itself out just as firefighters arrived.

Miller said firefighters hosed out the basement and ventilated the house, which had begun to fill with heavy smoke before the fire went out.

Firefighters were assisted at the scene by Jefferson County EMS. There were no injuries reported.

YOUNG TOWNSHIP — Almost everyone has heard of "Where's Waldo?" The same could be applied to the First Church of God's "...
PUNXSUTAWNEY — The Punxsutawney Concert Association will begin its 2014-2015 season on Tuesday, Oct. 21, with William...
Halloweenfest, sponsored by Punxsy Dental, is an afternoon of fun set for noon to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 25 in...
This afternoon, Amber Ward (pictured) and the Lady Chucks girls' tennis squad will participate in...
Members of the Punxsy football team were recognized on the field for Senior Night, and on the field...
Punxsy's 9th-grade football team picked up a win over Route 36 rival Brookville on Wednesday night...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes