Skip to main content

Self-extinguishing flames save firefighters some work

April 26, 2011

Oliver Township firefighters along with three other companies were called to a basement fire at the Colin Hicks residence at noon Tuesday at 102 Haag Rd., Oliveburg. (Larry McGuire/The Punxsutawney Spirit)

OLIVEBURG — The owners of a house in Oliveburg were fortunate when a basement fire burned itself out just before firefighters arrived on the scene Tuesday.

Oliver Township firefighters, along with McCalmont Township, Perry Township and Knox Dale, were called to the scene of a basement fire at the Colin Hicks residence at 102 Haag Rd., Oliveburg, at noon Tuesday.

Oliver Township Fire Company Assistant Chief John Miller said the owners were working with gasoline in the basement, which is also an attached garage, when they spilled gas on the floor, which ignited the hot water tank.

Miller said fortunately, the fire burned itself out just as firefighters arrived.

Miller said firefighters hosed out the basement and ventilated the house, which had begun to fill with heavy smoke before the fire went out.

Firefighters were assisted at the scene by Jefferson County EMS. There were no injuries reported.

Members of the Punxsutawney Fire Department were called to Aldi in the Punxy Plaza Thursday afternoon to investigate a...
PUNXSUTAWNEY — There is a saying that each one of us has a purpose here on this earth, and even though one local man...
PUNXSUTAWNEY — Punxsutawney Borough Council, despite a controversial meeting that at one point called for a...
Sunday evening, March 15, Plan B of the State College Area Rollers (SCAR) traveled to Skate Station...
On Monday, the District IX Basketball League — which consists of Bradford Area, Brookville Area,...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes