Skip to main content

Self-extinguishing flames save firefighters some work

April 26, 2011

Oliver Township firefighters along with three other companies were called to a basement fire at the Colin Hicks residence at noon Tuesday at 102 Haag Rd., Oliveburg. (Larry McGuire/The Punxsutawney Spirit)

OLIVEBURG — The owners of a house in Oliveburg were fortunate when a basement fire burned itself out just before firefighters arrived on the scene Tuesday.

Oliver Township firefighters, along with McCalmont Township, Perry Township and Knox Dale, were called to the scene of a basement fire at the Colin Hicks residence at 102 Haag Rd., Oliveburg, at noon Tuesday.

Oliver Township Fire Company Assistant Chief John Miller said the owners were working with gasoline in the basement, which is also an attached garage, when they spilled gas on the floor, which ignited the hot water tank.

Miller said fortunately, the fire burned itself out just as firefighters arrived.

Miller said firefighters hosed out the basement and ventilated the house, which had begun to fill with heavy smoke before the fire went out.

Firefighters were assisted at the scene by Jefferson County EMS. There were no injuries reported.

Clear the deck; there's a cannonball coming now that the cannons in Barclay Square have been restored, thanks to Eagle...
The Punxsutawney Lions and VFW recently held their second annual flea market and craft show, with seven vendors in...
This year’s Brookville Community Days, hosted by the Brookville Volunteer Fire Company, will wrap up on Saturday with a...
Sports Illustrated's Andy Staples and Brian Hamilton analyze the Big Ten entering the 2014 season.
Pitt Wide Receiver Tyler Boyd among ACC's Top 25 Players To Watch
Dave Foster, former Punxsutawney Athlete, and his team Backcountry CrossFit have just competed in...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes