Skip to main content

Self-extinguishing flames save firefighters some work

April 26, 2011

Oliver Township firefighters along with three other companies were called to a basement fire at the Colin Hicks residence at noon Tuesday at 102 Haag Rd., Oliveburg. (Larry McGuire/The Punxsutawney Spirit)

OLIVEBURG — The owners of a house in Oliveburg were fortunate when a basement fire burned itself out just before firefighters arrived on the scene Tuesday.

Oliver Township firefighters, along with McCalmont Township, Perry Township and Knox Dale, were called to the scene of a basement fire at the Colin Hicks residence at 102 Haag Rd., Oliveburg, at noon Tuesday.

Oliver Township Fire Company Assistant Chief John Miller said the owners were working with gasoline in the basement, which is also an attached garage, when they spilled gas on the floor, which ignited the hot water tank.

Miller said fortunately, the fire burned itself out just as firefighters arrived.

Miller said firefighters hosed out the basement and ventilated the house, which had begun to fill with heavy smoke before the fire went out.

Firefighters were assisted at the scene by Jefferson County EMS. There were no injuries reported.

When it comes to children riding in cars, safety always comes first.
VIDEO: 6 Ways To Pack A Better Lunch
Punxsutawney Mayor Richard Alexander proclaimed the week of Sept. 17 through Sept. 23 as "National Constitution Week"...
Punxsy's boys' cross country (led by Eric Ingros, pictured here) led the Chucks and Lady Chucks in...
Thursday was a busy day in PAHS sports action, with the volleyball team hosting the Curwensville...
Punxsy's boys' golf squad fell to a tough opponent in Indiana on Wednesday, while the girls took to...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes