Skip to main content

Self-extinguishing flames save firefighters some work

April 26, 2011

Oliver Township firefighters along with three other companies were called to a basement fire at the Colin Hicks residence at noon Tuesday at 102 Haag Rd., Oliveburg. (Larry McGuire/The Punxsutawney Spirit)

OLIVEBURG — The owners of a house in Oliveburg were fortunate when a basement fire burned itself out just before firefighters arrived on the scene Tuesday.

Oliver Township firefighters, along with McCalmont Township, Perry Township and Knox Dale, were called to the scene of a basement fire at the Colin Hicks residence at 102 Haag Rd., Oliveburg, at noon Tuesday.

Oliver Township Fire Company Assistant Chief John Miller said the owners were working with gasoline in the basement, which is also an attached garage, when they spilled gas on the floor, which ignited the hot water tank.

Miller said fortunately, the fire burned itself out just as firefighters arrived.

Miller said firefighters hosed out the basement and ventilated the house, which had begun to fill with heavy smoke before the fire went out.

Firefighters were assisted at the scene by Jefferson County EMS. There were no injuries reported.

The Punxsutawney Fire Department assisted at two vehicle accidents that occurred on Saturday evening and early Sunday...
(The Spirit is pleased to share with our readers vignettes of life in the 19th century as originally reported in past...
Pictured is the Church In The Park (CITP) worship team led by Pastor Mark Kephart, worship arts pastor at the First...
Punxsy’s Minor League Softball All-Stars were playing in their second winner-take-all championship...
The 2014 Punxsutawney Minor League Softball All-Stars defeated a tough Union City team, 1-0 on...
After fighting their way back through the bracket to the championships, Punxsy’s Minor League...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes