Skip to main content

Self-extinguishing flames save firefighters some work

April 26, 2011

Oliver Township firefighters along with three other companies were called to a basement fire at the Colin Hicks residence at noon Tuesday at 102 Haag Rd., Oliveburg. (Larry McGuire/The Punxsutawney Spirit)

OLIVEBURG — The owners of a house in Oliveburg were fortunate when a basement fire burned itself out just before firefighters arrived on the scene Tuesday.

Oliver Township firefighters, along with McCalmont Township, Perry Township and Knox Dale, were called to the scene of a basement fire at the Colin Hicks residence at 102 Haag Rd., Oliveburg, at noon Tuesday.

Oliver Township Fire Company Assistant Chief John Miller said the owners were working with gasoline in the basement, which is also an attached garage, when they spilled gas on the floor, which ignited the hot water tank.

Miller said fortunately, the fire burned itself out just as firefighters arrived.

Miller said firefighters hosed out the basement and ventilated the house, which had begun to fill with heavy smoke before the fire went out.

Firefighters were assisted at the scene by Jefferson County EMS. There were no injuries reported.

Courtney Cole, president of the Punxsutawney Rotary Club, is pictured presenting the IUP Rotaract Club with its charter...
The students at Mapleview Elementary School made the most of the sunny weather and the approaching holiday this week by...
The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW Post No. 2076) presented the top three winners of the SS.C.D. School essay contest...
While it may be spring, the winter weather isn't ready to leave. Because of a mix of snow, cold...
The Chucks will take on the Uniontown Red Raiders tonight at DuBois Area Middle School for its...
After having its Senior Night delayed multiple times, the Punxsy wrestling team will hit the mat...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes