School board OKs budget with no tax hike
PUNXSUTAWNEY — The Punxsutawney Area School Board approved its $38.7 million general fund budget — with no tax increase — for the 2011-12 school year at Wednesday’s board meeting.
The budget was passed 6-0, with board members Lesa Conner, Penny Pierce and Penny Pifer excused from the meeting.
The $38,713,742 will be funded by the $5 per capita school laws section 679; $5 per capita Act 51; one percent Earned Income Tax Act 511; 600 mills Occupational Assessment Tax Act 511; and a one-percent real estate transfer Tax Act 511.
The real estate tax levy is 25.141 mills for Jefferson County and 84.447 mills for Indiana County.
The board approved the the homestead/farmstead exclusion real estate tax assessment reduction for the school year beginning today which is equal to $8,081 for Jefferson County and $2,405 for Indiana County for each approved homestead and farmstead within the district.
This will result in a homestead/farmstead tax credit of approximately $203 provided the property tax exceeds the amount of the credit.
The total 2011-12 property tax reduction equals $1,118,312.
Also at Wednesday’ meeting, the board:
• Approved the property, casualty and related insurance products to be purchased through the Ohio Casualty insurance group for a total of $198,368, a reduction of $22,989 from the past year.
• Approved the retention of First Commonwealth Bank as the district’s primary depository.
• Approved a lease agreement with Apple Computers beginning with the 2011-12 fiscal year.
• Approved the S&T Bank tax assessment appeal settlement stipulation, subject to approval by Dave Young, solicitor.
• Approved the request to raise lunch prices by five cents for the 2011-12 school year to be compliant with the Healthy, Hunger, Free Kids Act by a 4-2 vote.
Board members Bob Pascuzzo and Jack White voted against the motion.
• Approved the bid from All American in the amount of $70,000 to resurface the track and field areas and the proposed javelin runway at LaMarca Memorial Stadium.
• Approved Kyle Plansinis as a band camp assistant.
• Approved Scott Johnson as an extended school year instructional assistant.
• Approved 5-1 the termination of employee No. 878’s employment with the district effective Jan. 24. White voted no.
• Rejected a request from Julie Roberts to extend her child-rearing leave through the end of the 2011-12 school year. The motion died for lack of a second.
• Rejected a request by the Punxsutawney Borough Police to waive facility fees for Civil Service testing.