Punxsy youth tournament a huge success
PUNXSUTAWNEY — This past weekend, Punxsutawney Area High School played host to more than 550 total wrestlers for a pair of youth tournaments: The Groundhog Classic, open to wrestlers ages eight to 15 of all experience levels, and the Groundhog Novice Tournament, limited to wrestlers between six and 12 years of age who are in their first two years of wrestling.
Wrestlers came from all over the state to participate, and the event was a success, with the parking lot at PAHS so packed that it was difficult to find a parking space: A good problem to have at such an event.
Punxsy's wrestlers were well-represented at the event, as well, and several earned trophies for placing in the top four in their age class and weight category.
The following Punxsy wrestlers participated over the weekend and placed:
Saturday's Groundhog Classic
Eight and under:
• Ben Skarbek (60 pounds) finished second, earning a fall over Kittanning's Josh Cicero and a technical fall over Curwensville's Trevor Lansberry before falling to Chandler Ho of DuBois in the finals.
• Ethan Watt (75 pounds) finished second, defeating Indiana's Tyler Pennington via fall and St. George's Lucas Oblinski 9-4 before falling to Curwensville's Duane Brady in the finals.
Nine- and 10-year-olds:
• Derek Ishman (75 pounds) placed fourth with a win over Brookville's Tyler Myers before being dropped to the losers' bracket by Ed Scott, of DuBois. Ishman then defeated Curwensville's Kaleb Stiles to earn fourth.
• Conner Giavedoni (95 pounds) was crowned champion of his bracket, defeating RAW's Zac Sellinger, 7-0, and pinning ESN Timberwolves' Brian Finnerty in 37 seconds.
• Dylan Ishman (105 pounds) finished third by pinning John Barrett, of Northern Cambria.
11- and 12-year-olds:
• Stone Smith (95 pounds) finished fourth by pinning Kiski's Dane Fitzsimons before falling victim to Quest's Nicholas Shideler. Smith then defeated Braedon Sheesley via fall in 2:30 to earn fourth.
• Jacob Schuckers (105 pounds) placed third by defeating Marion Center's Brandon Ferringer, 9-0, before being sent to the losers' bracket by Marion Center's Taylor McCunn. Schuckers then defeated Marion Center's Jeremy Rising and Brookville's Dylan Barber for third place.
• Gage Bozman (180 pounds) placed fourth.
13-, 14- and 15-year-olds:
• Zoie Smith (77-82 pounds) finished third despite falling to the losers' bracket in her first round match against Redbank Valley's Ryan Kube. Smith then defeated Kittanning's Jacob Shaner and Brookville's Clay St. Laurent to earn third place.
• Eli Lambiotte (97 pounds) placed third in his bracket.
• Ryan Jones (107 pounds) placed second in the round robin style tournament, earning a pair of victories over Hoorah's Jarrett Rosencrance and Redbank Valley's Colten Mohney.
• Levi Campbell (132 pounds) finished third in the round robin event by defeating Hoorah's Alex Walter via pinfall in 2:45.
• John Mark Miller (140 pounds) placed third in the round robin event.
• Jeff Bottenhorn (147 pounds) won his round robin bracket by defeating ESN Timberwolves' Kamrin Roberts, 12-3, and ESN's Michael Galletta via pin fall.
• Keegan Fischer (157 pounds) placed second by defeating Kittanning's Cade Hepner, 15-0, by technical fall in the third period.
• Travis Perry (187 pounds) finished second by pinning ESN's Joseph Parmid and earning a 7-3 decision over Redbank Valley's Patrick Crawford before falling to Blessed Sacrament's Philip Selker.
• Austin Covatch (212 pounds) placed third in his round robin tournament.
Sunday's Groundhog Novice Tournament
Six and under:
• Dysen Gould (40 pounds) was crowned champion of his bracket by defeating United's Gaige Grassmyer via fall, Bellefonte's Zac Folmar via 11-10 decision, and Caleb Stover, of Cranberry, 13-2.
Seven- and eight-year-olds:
• Brice Rowan (55 pounds) earned fourth place by pinning Bellefonte's Bryce Folmar before falling to the losers' bracket in a 3-2 decision to Keystone's Ryan Cooper. Rowan won his next three bouts to battle back for fourth.
• Zayin Spearing (60 pounds - A) finished fourth in his bracket by winning three matches after falling to the losers' bracket in the opening round.
• Kyle Nesbitt (60 pounds - B) finished fourth by defeating Keystone's Joey Fleeger, 12-0, and Indiana's Ian Bigler, 7-0, before falling to the losers' bracket where he defeated Northern Cambria's Isaac Sodmont to earn fourth place.
• Jacob Ebel (65 pounds - A) finished third in his bracket by pinning Curwensville's Zachary Shaffer before falling into the losers' bracket via 16-3 decision to Johnsonburg's Derek Peterson.
Ebel battled back to defeat Marion Center's Devin McCunn and defeated Shaffer again in the third-place match.
• Logan Gotwald (110 pounds) placed fourth. After falling to the losers' bracket in the opening round, he bounced back with two pins before falling in the third-place bout to Redbank's David Reesman.
Nine- and 10-year-olds:
• Brock Siple (65 pounds) was named champion of his bracket by defeating Marion Center's Brandon Gaston and earning a close 2-1 victory over St. George's Alex Nola.
• Izaiah Solomon (75 pounds) earned second place by pinning Ridgway's David Reffo and earning a 13-1 decision over Brockway's Jared Fremer before falling to Johnsonburg's Isaac Zimmerman in the finals.
• Deegan Smith (85 pounds) finished in third place in his round robin tournament.
• Caleb Kinney (105 pounds) finished in second place in his round robin tournament.
11- and 12-year-olds:
• Shawnelle Miller (105 pounds) finished fourth in the round robin tournament.
• Dallas Bond (125 pounds) finished third by defeating Indiana's Joey Plivelic, 6-0.