BIG RUN â€” Jefferson County Commissioner Jim McIntyre was the featured speaker at the 19th annual Spring Peeper Banquet Sunday.
â€śI was told by Big Run Mayor Joseph Buterbaugh that my talk should not be political,â€ť he said, adding that he believes that both Republicans and Democrats alike would agree on the ending of the story he was about to tell.
â€śWhen Iâ€™m at a county commission meeting, Iâ€™m bound by Roberts Rules of Order,â€ť McIntyre said. â€śWhen Iâ€™m at meetings at home, I go by Eileneâ€™s (McIntyre) Rules of Order, even though Iâ€™m the boss.â€ť
McIntyre said he is well-known to not only his wife, but to many people in these parts as a Victorian Peeper poet laureate.
He said he had been busy composing a poem that he wanted to present at Sundayâ€™s banquet that tells the entire Peeper story.
Following the reading of his poem, McIntyre presented the â€śTop Five Reasons Why itâ€™s Great to be a Frog:â€ť
5. Chicks are always kissing you because they think youâ€™ll turn into a prince.
4. Green goes with absolutely everything!
3. You can scratch â€śhard to reach placesâ€ť with your tongue.
2. Youâ€™re above toads on the food chain!
1. Flies in your soup are a bonus.
McIntyre thanked the banquet committee for choosing him to speak to the many Peepers followers.