Skip to main content

Outdoor fireplace garbage burn turns into brush fire

May 20, 2012

Elk Run firefighter George Zambory is shown ventilating a garage that received damage from a brush fire at approximately 7 p.m. Sunday at the Mike Snyder residence at 122 Cloe-Church St., Cloe, Bell Township. (Photo by Larry McGuire/The Punxsutawney Spirit)

CLOE — A fire in a cement outdoor fireplace accidentally blew onto the surrounding brush, catching a garage on fire at approximately 7 p.m.
Sunday at the Mike Snyder residence at 122 Cloe-Church St., Cloe, Bell Township.

Bryan Smith, Punxsutawney Fire Department chief, said Elk Run Volunteer Fire Company and Central Fire Department responded to battle the brush fire, which began in a outdoor cement fireplace where some garbage was burning and was left unattended, accidentally catching the surrounding brush on fire and spreading to an old garage nearby.

Smith said Elk Run's brush truck, Central's engine and crews from Central and Elk Run knocked the fire down, ventilated the roof and doused the flames that spread into the eaves of the garage.

He said there were no injuries, and the fire was reported by a passing motorist who was driving by on Route 36.

The Punxsutawney Fire Department was assisted at the scene by Jefferson County EMS.

With the 141st annual Kentucky Derby right around the bend, we're bringing you a list of things you might not have...
PUNXSUTAWNEY — Punxsutawney Borough Police have arrested a juvenile in relation to a theft of a handgun that occurred...
PUNXSUTAWNEY — On April 26, the Punxsutawney Borough Police Department investigated a rape allegation of a 19-year-old...
The Chucks and Lady Chucks defended their home turf on Friday, with the girls' squad defeating...
The Lady Chucks fell short in a pitchers' duel on Thursday at Altoona, with the Lady Lions edging...
On Wednesday, the Chucks baseball team played host to the DuBois Beavers for the second game...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes