Morgan among Chucks' medal winners
WEST MIFFLIN — Saturday's cold, snowy, wet and windy weather conditions may not have been very conducive for a track and field meet, but the Punxsy boys' team peformed well at the Tri-State Track Coaches Association Outdoor Championship Meet Saturday at West Mifflin High School.
Three Chucks placed during the meet, consisting of a runner (senior A.J. Meterko), a runner (junior Kevin Byars) and a thrower (junior Brody Morgan).
"This is a very large invitational consisting of many of Pittsburgh's big schools like Mount Lebanon and Baldwin, so getting even near to placing in the top-eight finishes is almost impossible," Punxsy head coach John Smith said.
Byars finished with a third-place medal, leaping 41-1 1/2 in the triple jump; Meterko ran a very torrid pace for the first 1,200 meters, Smith said, while placing fourth in 4:35 for the 1,600-meter run; and Morgan heaved the javelin 170 feet for a fifth-place medal.
The following are the Chucks' other results:
• Shot put — Morgan, 41-6.
• Javelin — Matt Rowland, 90-0.
• 1,600-meter run — Nathan Ward, 5:00.
• 3,200-meter run — Ward, 11:02, Shane Johns, 12:46.
• 800-meter run — Derick Kelly, 2:14; Luke Fugate, 2:20.
• 100-meter dash — Glenn Perry, 12.76; William Boddorf, 14.13.
• 200-meter dash — Perry, 26.64; Matt Burke, 27.24.
• 400-meter dash — Tom Wagner, 56.57.
Next up for the Chucks is a dual meet at 4 p.m. Tuesday in Brookville. They will then head to Brookville again for its annual invite Saturday.
"We are looking for better weather and performances to match," Smith said.