Memorial bench coming to Patsy’s Park
PUNXSUTAWNEY — At last week’s Borough Council meeting, its members changed course on a proposal by Drinda Smith to place a memorial bench in Barclay Square and instead authorized Smith to proceed with having one placed in Patsy’s Park.
The bench was requested by Drinda Smith in memory of Joel Riggleman, Dylan Behrendt and Sean McConnaughey and was approved.
Toby Santik, council member, said he had communicated council's decision to Smith via test message that it would not allow the bench to be in Barclay Square but would allow it in Patsy's Park.
Santik said Barclay Square is to be maintained by council, and its members felt it would open the door for others to request memorial benches.
"It's a very good memorial, and anyone who knows these three kids who died in an accident near Dayton in 2011, it is a good way to remember them, and I think what she is doing is commendable," Santik said.
Santik said what it does is take the borough to a whole new level of responsibility.
"The next thing you know, there'll be other benches, memorial trees and birdhouses, and the park is not for that," he said. "I believe this memorial is best served to be placed at Patsy's Park, where there's a need for this sort of thing."
Council approved a motion to place the memorial bench at Patsy's Park, 6-0.
Also at last Monday’s meeting council approved:
• A motion for Seitel to perform seismic testing in the borough, 4-2, with Council President Larry Chenoga and vice president Mike Porada voting no. Council members Bill Spencer, Santik, Eric Story and Michele Lorenzo voted yes.
• A motion to bid out the Cherry Street improvement project was approved.
Borough Manager Ben White said the CDBG Cherry Street improvement project application has received approval from DCED.
"Cherry Street will be paved from North Findley Street up to Carlton Avenue," White said, adding that there will be new guiderails installed to replace the old railing, which has deteriorated badly.
• Resolution 2013-3, transfer Pa. Liquor License No. R1712, LID62973 from the Sykesville Borough.
According to the resolution the current licensee is Bootleggers Saloon, LLC, located at 27 East Main St., Sykesville, which is transferred to applicant Macias Tres Amigo's No. 2 LLC doing business as Tres Amigo's Mexican Grill at 225 North Hampton Ave. (Groundhog Plaza) in Punxsutawney.
• Resolution 2013-5, in which the Borough of Punxsutawney declared its intent to follow the schedule and procedures as set forth in the Municipal Records Manual.
• Resignation of Ed Boston from the Punxsutawney Municipal Authority.
• Appointment of Ed Boston to the to the Police Civil Service Commission; the new term expires Dec. 31, 2015.
• Appointment of Donald Hendricks to Municipal Authority; the new term expires Dec. 31, 2015.
• Resolution 2013-4, CDBG non-discrimination policy.
• Resolution 2013-5, which the Borough of Punxsutawney declared its intent to follow the schedule and procedures as set forth in the Municipal Records Manual.
• Three payroll transfers for January totaling $168,692.15.
• Magistrate's report: Fines collected for the month of January total — $3,334.27.
• Punxsutawney Fire Department Chief Bryan Smith's report: Structure fires —1; Motor Vehicle Accidents — 13; Fire Alarm —1; CO Alarms — 2; Public Service — 1.
Total incidents — 22.
• Police Chief Tom Fedigan reported: Total January Offenses — 59; Total January Criminal Arrests— 71; Total January Arrests — 72; Total January Traffic Arrests — 39; Overtime Parking Tickets issued — 145; Yellow Parking Tickets issued — 29.
• Mayor James Wehrle's Report —Total Parking Meter Collections - $1,573.73.
In other business:
• White said the borough is awaiting the roof warranty from Dunkle Roofing prior to recommending the final payment on the Punxsutawney Area Community Center roof project.
The next Punxsutawney Borough Council committee meetings are scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Monday, March 4, at the council chambers in the Mahoning East Civic Center.