Hemlock View holds club championships
RINGGOLD — Championship Sunday at Hemlock View golf course in Ringgold was held last Sunday, and the day began with light rain and a forecast that did not sound very promising.
It just so happened, though, that the club had the best window of time to play, because after the second hole of play, the clouds remained but the rain subsided.
After everyone was done, the rain returned, but the championship went on and had some great storylines transpire for what was a two-day event last Saturday and Sunday.
One of those stories came from an 81-year-old member of Hemlock named Dean Lewis, of Stanton. Dean put together a round of one under his age Saturday to take a big lead into Sunday, where he shot an 83 to win his title of champion.
Shooting your age is a great accomplishment, making Lewis well-deserving of the championship title.
A husband and wife club champion an unheard of story? Not this year, as Ken and Sandy Snyder of Mayport accomplished the feat in matrimonial championship style. Ken won his first men's club championship by shooting a combined 186, highlighted by a two-under par 33 on his back nine Saturday.
Snyder earned her second straight championship in comeback fashion on Sunday by recording a final round score of 83.
Rick Caylor earned the title of Senior Club champion by remaining consistent over the weekend. Rick shot rounds of 80 on Saturday and Sunday en route to his first club championship.
Richard "Duck" States shot an outstanding back nine round by recording a one-over par 36 to win the senior first flight championship. Club owner Rodney Thompson said States "quacks" up members with his duck logo on his golf balls.
Logan Reed, who resides off of the No. 5 tee box, brought home the mens' second flight championship on his home course. He had a fantastic Sunday, shooting a round of 74 to earn the win.
Jeff Lindermuth of Corsica remained one of the guys to beat at Hemlock by repeating as champion. Last year, Jeff won the second flight and this year moved into the first flight. Thompson asks, "Championship flight next year, Jeff?"
Following are the results of the different flights:
• Men's Championship: Ken Snyder, champion; Tyler McKenrick, second; Robbie Hall, third; Chris Deitz, fourth.
• Men's First Flight: Jeff Lindermuth, champion; Eli Thompson, second; Bob Meterko, third; James Carpenter, fourth.
• Men's Second Flight: Logan Reed, champion; John Barenchik, second; Bill Hepfner, third.
• Ladies' Championship: Sandy Snyder, champion; Sandy Lindermuth, second; Lesa Hankinson, DeeDee Venturini and Tresa Uplinger, tied for third.
• Senior Championship: Rick Caylor, champion; Bob Fike and Tim Hollobaugh, tied for second; Dave Fye, fourth.
• Senior First Flight: Richard "Duck" States, champion; Frank Sady, second; Earle Good, third; Jr. Hockenberry and Bill Reinhard, tied for fourth.
• Senior Second Flight: Dean Lewis, champion; Frank Rend, second; Bob Forrest, third; Nick DeChurch, fourth.
Thompson said Hemlock View would like to thank all members who participated and show appreciation to everyone's camaraderie while playing in the championship.