- Special Sections
ADRIAN â€” Multiple fire companies responded to a call at AM/PM Personal Care Home in Adrian when smoke alarms went off at approximately 9:30 a.m. Sunday.
Firefighters from seven companies were called to the scene of the facility that houses mostly elderly residents.
Bryan Smith, Elk Run Volunteer Fire Company chief, said there was quite a bit of smoke in the structure when firefighters arrived on scene.
Smith said a short search helped firefighters determine the smoke was coming from an air conditioning unit.
After firefighters ventilated the building, residents were allowed to return to their rooms, while the air conditioning unit was repaired.
Smith said the cause was due to a malfunction in an electrical component inside the air conditioner.
Later Sunday afternoon, firefighters once again were called back at 4:05 p.m. to the facility located in Adrian for another smoke investigation.
Smith said that this time smoke was not due to the air conditioner, but burnt food.
Once again, firefighters ventilated the structure, and the residents were then allowed to return.
Smith said all three Punxsutawney Fire Companies assisted at the scene of both fires, along with McCalmont Township.
Reynoldsville, Knox Dale and Big Run were canceled once the cause of the smoke was determined following both incidents.
Smith said there were no injuries, and each time the residents were safely evacuated by the staff. There was no significant damage to the facility either time.