Fire damages building
PUNXSUTAWNEY — There were no injuries in a fire that began at 7:20 p.m. Sunday and took four fire departments over an hour-and-a-half to extinguish.
Four college students who rented the apartment at 1001 West Mahoning Street were displaced.
Numerous vehicles stored in the first- floor garage of the building were not damaged.
The alarm was called in by the residents of an apartment that occupied the second floor in the rear of the building.
Punxsutawney Fire Department Chief Paul Hense said firefighters got a good hit on the blaze when they first arrived on scene.
Members of the Punxsutawney Borough Police reported the fire as a working kitchen fire with flames showing from the rear windows of the second floor.
Hense added that responders seemed to have brought the fire under control when it got up into the ceiling and rolled into the attic.
Tower 40 was utilized to vent the roof.
The building, which is owned by Pete Pape of Punxsutawney, housed a beer distributorship, Pape Beer, years ago.
The residents of the apartment were assisted by the Red Cross which, along with the Salvation Army, provided drinks for the firefighters.
The Punxsutawney Fire Department was assisted at the scene by Big Run and McCalmont Township fire departments, Punxsutawney Borough Police and Jefferson Couinty EMS.
All fire companies were back in their station by 10:30 p.m.