- Special Sections
Dr. W. Ardell Haines, 91, son of Waide B. Haines and Ida M. Haines, passed away Wednesday, May 18, 2011.
He was born in Punxsutawney and graduated from Punxsutawney High School in 1935 Dr. Haines was married to the former Wilma Gall, of Punxsutawney, who survives.
He graduated from Indiana State Teachers College (now Indiana University of Pennsylvania) in 1940 with a B.S. degree in business education. In 1940, he began his career in education at Baldwin Township High School in Pittsburgh, where he taught business education courses in the commercial department.
In 1942, Dr. Haines was employed in cost accounting by Oil Well Supply Company, a subsidiary of U.S. Steel, and was assigned to Wilson-Snyder Manufacturing Company in Braddock, a manufacturer of maritime pumps for the Navy.
In early 1943, he was drafted into the U.S. Army under limited service and was assigned to the Education Testing Unit of the Maryland Induction Station in Baltimore, testing all Maryland draftees for their educational eligibility for service.
In late 1944, Dr. Haines was transferred to the Separation Center at Fort McPherson, Atlanta, as an occupational counselor, where he assisted the returnee in adjusting to civilian life and planning for reentry into employment.
He was promoted to the rank of master sergeant before his discharge in March 1946.
Following his discharge from the Army, he was employed for four years as a training officer with the Veterans Administraton in Pittsburgh, developing training programs for disabled veterans and working with business colleges in the Pittsburgh area as they enrolled veterans under the GI Bill.
During this time, Dr. Haines enrolled in the masterâ€™s program at the University of Pittsburgh and earned the M.Ed. degree in secondary school counseling.
In 1950, he and his family moved to Cumberland, Md., to accept the position as guidance counselor at Fort Hill High School. Two years later, in 1952, he was appointed principal of Bruce High School in Westernport, Allegany County, Md.
Dr. Haines continued his graduate work at the University of Pittsburgh and earned a Ph.D. in school administration in 1956, at which time he was assigned to be principal of Allegany High School in Cumberland, a position he held for 10 years.
In the fall of 1966, he was appointed as professor of education at Frostburg State University, and in 1967, he was appointed the second president of Allegany Community College.
Dr. Haines had the privilege of seeing a beautiful new campus open to students in September 1969. Under his administration, during the years that followed, the campus grew, student enrollment was increased, additional faculty was recruited, new curricula were introduced, and new college programs were developed. The role of the Community College in the Cumberland area was enhanced. Dr. Haines retired as president of Allegany Community College in June 1980.
In late 1981, Sister Cecilia, administrator at Sacred Heart Hospital, Cumberland, invited Dr. Haines to be the executive of the new Sacred Heart Hospital Foundation, a part-time position. With his administration, during the next two years, the foundation developed assets amounting to almost $2 million.
During his 28 years in Cumberland, Dr. Haines was involved in many community programs, activities and projects.
He was a member of the Cumberland Chamber of Commerce for many years, serving a two-year term as president in the 1970s.
As a member of the Cumberland Rotary Club, he served as club president in 1970-1971.
Other organizations in which he had active memberships included the Allegany Retired Teachers Association; the Council of the Alleghenies; the order of Masonry; and the Scottish Rite.
Along with his wife, Dr. Haines was an active member in the LaVale United Methodist Church.
The couple moved to Sun City West, Ariz., in 1988. Dr. Haines soon became involved as a volunteer with AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) in Arizona, eventually becoming state training director, and in 1994, Arizona State AARP president.
Since living in Sun City West, Dr. Haines has been an active member of the Shepherd of the Hills United Methodist Church, joining in 1988 and then serving with his wife for almost three years as chairman of the Membership Development Committee, with almost 300 new members joining during this period. He also joined the church choir as a baritone and often contributed solos. His latest service was secretary to the SHUMC Foundation.
Dr. Haines had been a Rotarian for more than 50 years, joining first in 1952 in Maryland. He recently served as secretary of the Sun City West Rotary Club. At his residence in Grandview Terrace, a retirement complex in Sun City West, he was a member and secretary to the Grandview Terrace Service Foundation.
In addition to his wife, surviving relatives include a son, Dr. Gordon A. Haines and wife Beverly (Brockman) of St. George, Utah.
A memorial service was held at 2 p.m. Monday, May 23, 2011, at the Shepherd of the Hills United Methodist Church.
Interment was in the family plot at Circle Hill Cemetery, Punxsutawney.
The family suggests that memorial contributions be made, if desired, to the Shepherd of the Hills United Methodist Church Foundation (SHUMC, 13658 W. Meeker Blvd., Sun City West, Ariz. 85375) which provides scholarships for worthy students.