Skip to main content

Chief: No injuries in Troutville fire

March 13, 2012

This home along Walnut Street, Troutville, was severely damaged in a fire Monday evening. (Photo by Larry McGuire/The Punxsutawney Spirit)

TROUTVILLE — A dryer fire caused $100,000 in damage to a Troutville family’s home located along Walnut Street Monday.

“It was a working fire when the alarm was first reported by a neighbor at 8:53 p.m.,” Brady Township Fire Chief Russ Perks said.

Perks said flames were coming from the back of the residence — which is owned by Joan DuBeck — when firefighters arrived.

Perks said the tankers were refilled at Weis’ pond.

“I determined the fire to be under control within an hour of our arrival,” he said, adding that the house was triple-planked, in which the walls are hollow from the basement to the attic.

“Once fire gets in the walls in a triple-planked structure, it’s miserable to extinguish,” Perks said.

Frefighters returned to the scene after repacking and cleaning the trucks to extinguish the hot spots.

“We always do that just to make sure that the fire doesn’t rekindle,” Perks said. “In a triple-planked house, sometimes, there’s a tendency for a rekindle. We returned to the scene and extinguished a couple of hot spots.

“All of the firefighters worked really hard because of the triple-planed walls, and the ceiling below the attic was constructed of three-quarter inch plywood, and we had to cut into it with a chain-saw,” he said.
There was no attic access in the house, so firefighters had to cut openings to access the fire.

Perks said one person was transported to DRMC West for observation and was later released.

Perks said the American Red Cross housed the family for the night.
Neither DuBeck nor four other individuals were home at the time of the blaze.

Brady Township firefighters were assisted at the scene by Union Township, Sykesville, Big Run, West Sandy and Reynoldsville fire departments.

Perks said the fire began in the dryer in the laundry room area on the first floor and is being ruled accidental.

PUNXSUTAWNEY — Punxsutawney Area Hospital has welcomed a new face as its general surgeon to its Medical Arts Building...
The Jefferson County Farm Bureau held its annual Rural Road Safety Day at Fezell's County Market on Tuesday to bring...
Members of the PAHS Key Club attended the Punxsutawney Area School Board meeting Monday night, at which time they gave...
While it may be spring, the winter weather isn't ready to leave. Because of a mix of snow, cold...
The Chucks will take on the Uniontown Red Raiders tonight at DuBois Area Middle School for its...
After having its Senior Night delayed multiple times, the Punxsy wrestling team will hit the mat...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes