TROUTVILLE â A dryer fire caused $100,000 in damage to a Troutville familyâs home located along Walnut Street Monday.
âIt was a working fire when the alarm was first reported by a neighbor at 8:53 p.m.,â Brady Township Fire Chief Russ Perks said.
Perks said flames were coming from the back of the residence â which is owned by Joan DuBeck â when firefighters arrived.
Perks said the tankers were refilled at Weisâ pond.
âI determined the fire to be under control within an hour of our arrival,â he said, adding that the house was triple-planked, in which the walls are hollow from the basement to the attic.
âOnce fire gets in the walls in a triple-planked structure, itâs miserable to extinguish,â Perks said.
Frefighters returned to the scene after repacking and cleaning the trucks to extinguish the hot spots.
âWe always do that just to make sure that the fire doesnât rekindle,â Perks said. âIn a triple-planked house, sometimes, thereâs a tendency for a rekindle. We returned to the scene and extinguished a couple of hot spots.
âAll of the firefighters worked really hard because of the triple-planed walls, and the ceiling below the attic was constructed of three-quarter inch plywood, and we had to cut into it with a chain-saw,â he said.
There was no attic access in the house, so firefighters had to cut openings to access the fire.
Perks said one person was transported to DRMC West for observation and was later released.
Perks said the American Red Cross housed the family for the night.
Neither DuBeck nor four other individuals were home at the time of the blaze.
Brady Township firefighters were assisted at the scene by Union Township, Sykesville, Big Run, West Sandy and Reynoldsville fire departments.
Perks said the fire began in the dryer in the laundry room area on the first floor and is being ruled accidental.