Chief: No injuries in Ridge Avenue fire
PUNXSUTAWNEY — The Punxsutawney-based Pennsylvania State Police fire marshal is investigating a fire that heavily damaged the second floor of a Ridge Avenue home at 6:34 a.m. Wednesday.
The three-story house is owned by Eugene McCorle, and had heavy smoke showing from the second floor when firefighters arrived on scene, said Bryan Smith, Punxsutawney Fire Department chief.
Smith said the house was rented by Phil and Nicole Morrow, two adults and three children, and there were family members at home when the fire broke out.
“Our firefighters once again did a stellar job in knocking the flames down in a short period of time, holding the fire damage to a bedroom and bathroom area,” Smith said.
The home sustained smoke and water damage as the result of the fire.
One family pet, a ferret, was rescued by firefighters, while a dog did not escape and was overcome by smoke inhalation.
State Police Fire Marshal Charles Gross is investigating the fire, which began on the second floor in a bathroom area.
Jefferson County EMS set up a rehab area for firefighters to recover from the extreme heat conditions while fighting the blaze.
Central, Elk Run and Lindsey Fire Companies were assisted at the scene by the McCalmont Township Volunteer Fire Company Rapid Intervention team (RIT), with the Big Run Area Volunteer Fire Company on stand-by at Central.
The American Red Cross assisted the family with housing and clothing.