Skip to main content

Boys on break help avert major fire in Big Run

February 4, 2012

Big Run firefighters extinguish a fire that had began in the chimney and spread into a wall, which was knocked down with a fire extinguisher before firefighters arrived on scene Friday. (Photo by Larry McGuire)

BIG RUN — Thanks to a school holiday, some boys tossing the old pigskin around and an alert neighbor helped to avert a major catastrophe when a chimney connected to a wood burner caught the inside wall of a residence on fire at 2:30 p.m. Friday afternoon on Rear West Main Street, Big Run.

Perry Arrington and Joel Bowers, students in the Punxsutawney Area School District, were preparing to play football with another boy, when they saw the smoke coming from a residence owned by Jeff Pifer, Rear West Main Street, Big Run.

Arrington and Bowers were home Friday because of Groundhog Day.

Todd Peace, assistant chief of the Big Run Area Volunteer Fire Company, said he called for mutual aid from Sykesville and Central Fire Departments. Fortunately, the fire was knocked down with a fire extinguisher just as firefighters arrived.

The fire first began in the chimney and spread into the wall when it was first discovered, Peace said. Firefighters had to cut into the wall to make sure the flames were extinguished.

There was no injuries, and damage was held to the wall surrounding the chimney.

Firefighters were back in quarters by 4 p.m.

Reynoldsville Fire Company was on standby. at Sykesville’s station.

Post Office letter carriers are getting ready to Stamp Out Hunger with their Letter Carrier's Food Drive. For over 20...
PUNXSUTAWNEY — ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, is a devastating disease without a cure. ALS is a fatal disease...
This week's Photo of the Week takes us back to last Friday, when the seniors at Punxsutawney Area High School took part...
Senior members of the PAHS boys' track and field team (pictured here), the girls' track and field...
Ty Wasicki (pictured here) and Jared Burkett made the trip to Bradford for Monday's District IX...
The Chucks and Lady Chucks defended their home turf on Friday, with the girls' squad defeating...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes