- Local Guide
BIG RUN â€” Thanks to a school holiday, some boys tossing the old pigskin around and an alert neighbor helped to avert a major catastrophe when a chimney connected to a wood burner caught the inside wall of a residence on fire at 2:30 p.m. Friday afternoon on Rear West Main Street, Big Run.
Perry Arrington and Joel Bowers, students in the Punxsutawney Area School District, were preparing to play football with another boy, when they saw the smoke coming from a residence owned by Jeff Pifer, Rear West Main Street, Big Run.
Arrington and Bowers were home Friday because of Groundhog Day.
Todd Peace, assistant chief of the Big Run Area Volunteer Fire Company, said he called for mutual aid from Sykesville and Central Fire Departments. Fortunately, the fire was knocked down with a fire extinguisher just as firefighters arrived.
The fire first began in the chimney and spread into the wall when it was first discovered, Peace said. Firefighters had to cut into the wall to make sure the flames were extinguished.
There was no injuries, and damage was held to the wall surrounding the chimney.
Firefighters were back in quarters by 4 p.m.
Reynoldsville Fire Company was on standby. at Sykesvilleâ€™s station.