Archive - News Article
May 22nd, 2012
PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” One year of teaching at the Punxsutawney Area High School was apparently enough time for Rodney Thompson to make an impact on students and the community, as he was named the high school â€śTeacher of the Yearâ€ť in The Punxsutawney Spiritâ€™s annual contest Tuesday.
After 11 years of teaching at Clearfield County Career & Technology Center (CCCTC), Thompson was hired at PAHS to teach computer applications, introduction to business and accounting in grades eight through 12.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” Thus far, Kerin Mesankoâ€™s teaching career has consisted of two very what she calls â€śshockingâ€ť moments.
The first was being named the valedictorian of her class at Penn State University in 2005. The second was Tuesday, when she was named the elementary â€śTeacher of the Yearâ€ť in The Punxsutawney Spiritâ€™s annual contest.
â€śI am so blessed to be here,â€ť Mesanko said in front of her class of â€ś14 amazing studentsâ€ť in kindergarten at the Punxsutawney Christian School. â€śThis is such an awesome class, and itâ€™s easy to teach when the kids are eager to learn.â€ť
PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” One would think that after 35 years in the same job, a person wouldnâ€™t be surprised by anything. But ask Alan Major, who was chosen as The Spiritâ€™s middle school â€śTeacher of the Yearâ€ť Tuesday, and heâ€™ll say thatâ€™s not the case.
Major, who has taught in the district for 35 years, has previously won The Spirit award, as well as Wal-Martâ€™s â€śTeacher of the Yearâ€ť contest several years ago.
Major teaches fourth-grade standard math, mixed science and social studies.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” Thanks to quick action by members of the Central Fire Department, damage was held to a minimum when a laundry basket caught fire in the back seat of a vehicle at 11:30 a.m. Monday on South Findley Street.
Scott Depp, Central Fire Department chief, said a neighbor reported seeing smoke inside of a vehicle owned by Heather Fox, Ray Lane, Punxsutawney, while it was parked on South Findley Street.
Fox said she had been at the laundromat and most of the clothes were dry, and some were still damp.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” Punxsutawney Borough Council recognized Joe Steiner, Punxsutawney Borough Police warden/dispatcher for his 25 years of service at last Monday's meeting.
"I want to thank you for your 25 years of service to Punxsutawney Borough Police and proclaim May 14 as Joe Steiner Day in Punxsutawney," said Jim Wehrle, Punxsutawney Mayor.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” Thanks to the repeated generosity of area residents, American troops serving in Afghanistan will soon be enjoying a taste of home, as well as appreciating the generous supplies of toiletry and grooming products that they are receiving through the recent drive sponsored by the Jefferson County Chapter of the Pennsylvania Association of School Retirees.
Project coordinator Charlotte S. Fye reported that more than 50 boxes, cartons, and bags of "goodies" and health and hygiene supplies were collected throughout the month of April.
CLOE â€” A fire in a cement outdoor fireplace accidentally blew onto the surrounding brush, catching a garage on fire at approximately 7 p.m.
Sunday at the Mike Snyder residence at 122 Cloe-Church St., Cloe, Bell Township.
Bryan Smith, Punxsutawney Fire Department chief, said Elk Run Volunteer Fire Company and Central Fire Department responded to battle the brush fire, which began in a outdoor cement fireplace where some garbage was burning and was left unattended, accidentally catching the surrounding brush on fire and spreading to an old garage nearby.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” Punxsutawney Borough Police officers are hoping to stop cross parking in the borough.
Police have received numerous complaints as of late throughout the borough regarding cross parking, or parking facing oncoming traffic, with the driver's side of a vehicle facing the curb, Punxsutawney Borough Police Chief Tom Fedigan said.
(The Spirit is pleased to share with our readers vignettes of life in the 19th century as originally reported in past issues of the newspapers. These reproduced stories include their original headlines and spelling.)
(July 8, 1896)
DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS LOADED
A Hen Swallows a Fire Cracker Which Explodes and Kills Her.
BIG RUN â€” The 14-year-old driver and nine passengers in an Amish buggy escaped serious injury when the buggy was struck by a vehicle attempting to pass it at 10:54 a.m. Friday in Big Run.
According to Punxsutawney-based Pennsylvania State Police, a horse drawn buggy driven by a 14-year-old female juvenile was traveling north on Route 119 when Barbara A. Keller, Big Run, operating a 1993 Jeep Cherokee, tried to pass the buggy when the right front of her vehicle struck the left rear wheel of the buggy.