Archive - News Article
May 23rd, 2012
PUNXSUTAWNEY â Even though her experience took place 70 years ago, Holocaust survivor Shulamit Bastackyâs message to youngsters and others isnât unlike that of anti-bullying campaigns today.
Donât be a victim. Donât be a victimizer. Stand up for whatâs right. And be respectful of other people and their differences.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â PAMS AmeriCorps teacher Christine Curtisâ interest in the Holocaust as a history major turned into not only a valuable lesson for her students, but a massive project for others from which to learn.
And at the end of it all, students showed that despite their young ages, they could research and present information on such a difficult topic.
BROOKVILLE â At the age of 104, Edith Altman is Jefferson Countyâs oldest resident.
She earned the recognition over a Reynoldsville man by only a few months, and celebrated her long life with family and friends Wednesday afternoon at Jefferson Manor in Brookville.
âItâs wonderful,â her daughter, Amy Slocum said. âItâs super. Itâs great to be able to get together. We donât do it often enough. This is a celebration of life.â
PUNXSUTAWNEY â One year of teaching at the Punxsutawney Area High School was apparently enough time for Rodney Thompson to make an impact on students and the community, as he was named the high school âTeacher of the Yearâ in The Punxsutawney Spiritâs annual contest Tuesday.
After 11 years of teaching at Clearfield County Career & Technology Center (CCCTC), Thompson was hired at PAHS to teach computer applications, introduction to business and accounting in grades eight through 12.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â Thus far, Kerin Mesankoâs teaching career has consisted of two very what she calls âshockingâ moments.
The first was being named the valedictorian of her class at Penn State University in 2005. The second was Tuesday, when she was named the elementary âTeacher of the Yearâ in The Punxsutawney Spiritâs annual contest.
âI am so blessed to be here,â Mesanko said in front of her class of â14 amazing studentsâ in kindergarten at the Punxsutawney Christian School. âThis is such an awesome class, and itâs easy to teach when the kids are eager to learn.â
PUNXSUTAWNEY â One would think that after 35 years in the same job, a person wouldnât be surprised by anything. But ask Alan Major, who was chosen as The Spiritâs middle school âTeacher of the Yearâ Tuesday, and heâll say thatâs not the case.
Major, who has taught in the district for 35 years, has previously won The Spirit award, as well as Wal-Martâs âTeacher of the Yearâ contest several years ago.
Major teaches fourth-grade standard math, mixed science and social studies.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â Thanks to quick action by members of the Central Fire Department, damage was held to a minimum when a laundry basket caught fire in the back seat of a vehicle at 11:30 a.m. Monday on South Findley Street.
Scott Depp, Central Fire Department chief, said a neighbor reported seeing smoke inside of a vehicle owned by Heather Fox, Ray Lane, Punxsutawney, while it was parked on South Findley Street.
Fox said she had been at the laundromat and most of the clothes were dry, and some were still damp.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â Punxsutawney Borough Council recognized Joe Steiner, Punxsutawney Borough Police warden/dispatcher for his 25 years of service at last Monday's meeting.
"I want to thank you for your 25 years of service to Punxsutawney Borough Police and proclaim May 14 as Joe Steiner Day in Punxsutawney," said Jim Wehrle, Punxsutawney Mayor.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â Thanks to the repeated generosity of area residents, American troops serving in Afghanistan will soon be enjoying a taste of home, as well as appreciating the generous supplies of toiletry and grooming products that they are receiving through the recent drive sponsored by the Jefferson County Chapter of the Pennsylvania Association of School Retirees.
Project coordinator Charlotte S. Fye reported that more than 50 boxes, cartons, and bags of "goodies" and health and hygiene supplies were collected throughout the month of April.
CLOE â A fire in a cement outdoor fireplace accidentally blew onto the surrounding brush, catching a garage on fire at approximately 7 p.m.
Sunday at the Mike Snyder residence at 122 Cloe-Church St., Cloe, Bell Township.
Bryan Smith, Punxsutawney Fire Department chief, said Elk Run Volunteer Fire Company and Central Fire Department responded to battle the brush fire, which began in a outdoor cement fireplace where some garbage was burning and was left unattended, accidentally catching the surrounding brush on fire and spreading to an old garage nearby.