Skip to main content

Archive - May 20, 2012 - News Article

Outdoor fireplace garbage burn turns into brush fire

May 20, 2012

CLOE — A fire in a cement outdoor fireplace accidentally blew onto the surrounding brush, catching a garage on fire at approximately 7 p.m.
Sunday at the Mike Snyder residence at 122 Cloe-Church St., Cloe, Bell Township.

Bryan Smith, Punxsutawney Fire Department chief, said Elk Run Volunteer Fire Company and Central Fire Department responded to battle the brush fire, which began in a outdoor cement fireplace where some garbage was burning and was left unattended, accidentally catching the surrounding brush on fire and spreading to an old garage nearby.

Borough police cracking down on potentially dangerous parking

May 20, 2012

PUNXSUTAWNEY — Punxsutawney Borough Police officers are hoping to stop cross parking in the borough.

Police have received numerous complaints as of late throughout the borough regarding cross parking, or parking facing oncoming traffic, with the driver's side of a vehicle facing the curb, Punxsutawney Borough Police Chief Tom Fedigan said.

Way Back When

May 20, 2012

(The Spirit is pleased to share with our readers vignettes of life in the 19th century as originally reported in past issues of the newspapers. These reproduced stories include their original headlines and spelling.)

Local Intelligence
(July 8, 1896)

DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS LOADED
A Hen Swallows a Fire Cracker Which Explodes and Kills Her.

CRAWFORDTOWN — There were no injuries reported in a one-vehicle rollover accident that occurred at 1:39 p.m. on...
Silent and somewhat desolate looking are the Punxsutawney Groundhog Little League fields. When action resumes, the...
PUNXSUTAWNEY — On Friday night, a fire in a garage apartment at 113 Marion Ave., Punxsutawney, was quickly extinguished...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes