Inner Circle members gaze upon the fireworks display that dazzled the crowd Thursday morning at Gobblerâ€™s Knob just before Punxsy Philâ€™s prognostication. (Photo by Alan Freed)
PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” Opening a restaurant is no easy task, but that didnâ€™t stop Lillian Cameron.
And Jan. 31, she celebrated the fifth anniversary of her business, Lilyâ€™s Restaurant, Bakery & Deli, by handing out pieces of cake to customers.
â€śIt took a lot of hard work, dedication,â€ť Cameron said. â€śIâ€™m happy to be here. I hope Iâ€™m here for 25 more years.â€ť
BIG RUN â€” Thanks to a school holiday, some boys tossing the old pigskin around and an alert neighbor helped to avert a major catastrophe when a chimney connected to a wood burner caught the inside wall of a residence on fire at 2:30 p.m. Friday afternoon on Rear West Main Street, Big Run.
Perry Arrington and Joel Bowers, students in the Punxsutawney Area School District, were preparing to play football with another boy, when they saw the smoke coming from a residence owned by Jeff Pifer, Rear West Main Street, Big Run.
Arrington and Bowers were home Friday because of Groundhog Day.