Skip to main content

Archive - Dec 2, 2012 - News Article

Dryer fire breaks out at Sycamore Apartments

December 2, 2012

PUNXSUTAWNEY — A potential catastrophe was averted when residents and maintenance personnel of Sycamore Apartments in Punxsutawney were able to remove a dryer that had heavy smoke showing and use a fire extinguisher on it at 2:23 p.m. Saturday in the laundry room of the building located at 505 Sycamore St.

The dryer had been removed and the building evacuated when members of the Punxsutawney Fire Department and Punxsutawney Borough Police arrived on scene, said Bryan Smith, Punxsutawney Fire Department chief.

PATRIOT’S PEN WINNER

December 2, 2012

Big Run VFW Post 9044 Adjutant Bob Lott (left) presents a Patriot's Pen certificate to Maggie Prutznal of Punxsy for winning this year's essay contest.

Maggie received $100 from the post, and she also has been announced as the District 19 winner.

She will receive $100 from the District 19 Ladies Auxiliary, and her essay will be passed on to the state level for department judging.

Way Back When

December 2, 2012

(The Spirit is pleased to share with our readers vignettes of life in the 19th century as originally reported in past issues of the newspapers. These reproduced stories include their original headlines and spelling.)

Local Intelligence
October 7, 1896

He Came Down

PUNXSUTAWNEY — Another successful "Light Up A Child's Life" campaign wrapped on Friday at Miller Brothers Furniture in...
VIDEO OF THE DAY: Good Things - Unforgettable Holiday Cookies ’Tis the season for best-in-show desserts, and a batch of...
It was Day 4 of the "Light Up a Child's Life" campaign for Make-A-Wish on Thursday morning, and both PAMS and PAHS...
Thursday Night Football 12/11/14 Arizona (11-3) 12 @ St. Louis (6-8) 6
Friday night, the Route 36 Rivalry was alive and well, with two different Punxsy-Brookville...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes