PUNXSUTAWNEY â€”Â Itâ€™s a manner of gardening that works just fine for Cecilia (Wehrle) McCann, but at times, it may alarm passersby.
Given the fact that her eyesight isnâ€™t what it used to be, she gets low to the ground, generally on her knees or lower, for a better look at the flowers sheâ€™s tending at her Liberty Street home.
â€śItâ€™s hard on my legs, so I just get on the ground,â€ť Mrs. McCann â€” also known as Aunt Deed, a derivative of her childhood nickname, Dee Dee Dumpling â€” said Tuesday. â€śI canâ€™t stand up that long, and I canâ€™t see that far anyway.â€ť
PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” Over the years, there have been many high-profile fires that have heavily damaged or destroyed historic buildings in Punxsutawney, but a fire that destroyed a building Feb. 16 has taken some more of history with it.
This time, itâ€™s a part of Clayville history.
There was the Dec. 24, 1971, fire that destroyed the Jordan Furniture Company, Freeleeâ€™s Store and other buildings along East Mahoning and North Jefferson streets, as well as a Nov. 16, 1982, fire on Thanksgiving at the Findley Hotel.