Skip to main content

Archive - Jun 6, 2011 - News Article

Toaster the cause of Mahoning Towers fire

June 6, 2011

PUNXSUTAWNEY — It was no false alarm at Mahoning Towers Sunday morning when an appliance fire damaged an apartment around 7:30 a.m.

Punxsutawney Assistant Fire Chief Scott Depp said a toaster caught fire in apartment 402 and caused some fire damage in the kitchen area, especially the cupboards.

Depp said Punxsutawney Borough Police were first on the scene and knocked down the fire with an extinguisher.

Just Splashin' Around

June 6, 2011

Opening weekend at the George C. Brown Community Pool, located on Cypress Street, was a big success as the warm temperatures brought a large crowd to the local swimming hole Saturday and Sunday. Shown are some young swimming enthusiasts enjoying their summer vacation at the pool (front, from left): Hayden Terres, Carter Newcome, Makayla Smith and Ella Newcome, (back) Austin Troutman, Lexi Dunlap and Ryan Ransom.

Way Back When

June 6, 2011

(The Spirit is pleased to share with our readers vignettes of life in the 19th century as originally reported in past issues of the newspapers. These reproduced stories include their original headlines and spelling.)

Local Intelligence
March 4, 1896

Perry Brink Dead
Perry Brink, well-known all over Jefferson county, died at his home near Horatio last Thursday of dropsy, aged seventy-four years, and was buried in the Clayville cemetery on Sunday.

A special Legislature Farewell Breakfast was held in honor of PA State Representative Sam Smith early Friday morning....
When it comes to children riding in cars, safety always comes first.
VIDEO: 6 Ways To Pack A Better Lunch
On Friday night, the Chucks football team defeated the Union Knights in a shootout, 54-36, after...
On Thursday, the girls' volleyball team at PAHS earned its first win over Altoona since starting...
Punxsy's boys' cross country (led by Eric Ingros, pictured here) led the Chucks and Lady Chucks in...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes