PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” There were no injuries in a fire that began at 7:20 p.m. Sunday and took four fire departments over an hour-and-a-half to extinguish.
Four college students who rented the apartment at 1001 West Mahoning Street were displaced.
Numerous vehicles stored in the first- floor garage of the building were not damaged.
The alarm was called in by the residents of an apartment that occupied the second floor in the rear of the building.
Punxsutawney Fire Department Chief Paul Hense said firefighters got a good hit on the blaze when they first arrived on scene.
John & Anna Kostick â€” 60 years
Aug. 5, 1950, the young couple tied the knot, becoming not just John and Anna, but jointly emerging as Mr. and Mrs. Kostick.
But about a year-and-a-half before that date, it was a dance where this Cinderella and Prince Charming danced the night away.
As one dance turned into another, the two were soon finding themselves entranced with countless late nights.
Despite the late night that John put in at A&P, the duo still made time, finding themselves dancing again, stopping only to eat.
(The Spirit is pleased to share with our readers vignettes of life in the 19th century as originally reported in past issues of the newspapers. These reproduced stories include their original headlines and spelling.
(February 5, 1896)
A SUDDEN DEATH
Mrs. John Hill, of Stanton, is Taken Away by Apoplexy