February 5th, 2012
DUBOIS â€” Avenging last season's upset loss to Ridgway and earning the District IX Class AA title were the only two things Brookville head coach Dave Klepfer and the Raiders wrestling squad had on their minds heading into Saturday's championship match.
The Raiders were strong, motivated and unstoppable, rolling over five-time district champ Ridgway for a 36-33 victory, the team championship title and a trip to the PIAA wrestling championship Thursday in Hershey.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” The Punxsutawney Fire Department responded to two emergency calls that were reported at the same time at 3:22 a.m. Saturday.
Elk Run Volunteer Fire Company was the recipient of both calls, a car fire at a residence along Route 310, Young Township, Harmony, and a car that was driven into the Mahoning Creek at the Route 310 and Route 119 intersection.
Punxsutawney Fire Department Chief Bryan Smith ordered Elk Run to go to the car fire and Central Fire Department to respond to the car into the creek.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” Don't take the 21st Century Learning Initiative and One to One Computing for granted in the Punxsutawney Area School District â€” especially after seeing how some other, larger school districts don't have the advantage of a technology program like Punxsyâ€™s.
(The Spirit is pleased to share with our readers vignettes of life in the 19th century as originally reported in past issues of the newspapers. These reproduced stories include their original headlines and spelling.)
(April 29, 1896)
Stahle Took the Property
Loretta G. Bartasavich, 83, DuBois, died Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012, at her residence.
She was born July 31, 1928, in Punxsutawney, a daughter of the late John J. and Sara (Taraskiewicz) Guzzy.
Aug. 27, 1949, she married John J. Bartasavich, who preceded her in death Nov. 7, 2006.
She retired as a medical secretary from the DuBois Regional Medical Center after more than 20 years of service.
Mrs. Bartasavich was a member of St. Michael the Archangel Roman Catholic Church, where she was a member of the Rosary Infant of Prague Society.
She was also a member of the Friendly Club.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” Friday night, the Lady Chucks wrapped up an extremely difficult week during which they hosted longtime rival Brookville Tuesday and concluded the week against an Elk County Catholic team that was 15-2 entering the contest.
Despite Punxsy playing right with the Lady Crusaders for the first three quarters, ECC pulled away after opening the fourth quarter on a 9-1 run in the first three minutes and cruised to a 34-24 victory in Punxsutawney.
ST. MARYS â€” Friday morning's District-IX boys' basketball standings had Punxsy tied for first at the top of the heap, but they also showed five teams with just two losses. Friday evening's games were certain to stir things up, though, with all six teams playing league games.
The Chucks knew they could fall as low as a tie for fourth in the standings with just one loss, and in heart-breaking fashion, Punxsy did just that when a left-handed layup by Brandon Mancuso was blocked by Elk County's Brandon Schlimm to preserve a 47-45 win for the Crusaders.
Inner Circle members gaze upon the fireworks display that dazzled the crowd Thursday morning at Gobblerâ€™s Knob just before Punxsy Philâ€™s prognostication. (Photo by Alan Freed)
PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” Opening a restaurant is no easy task, but that didnâ€™t stop Lillian Cameron.
And Jan. 31, she celebrated the fifth anniversary of her business, Lilyâ€™s Restaurant, Bakery & Deli, by handing out pieces of cake to customers.
â€śIt took a lot of hard work, dedication,â€ť Cameron said. â€śIâ€™m happy to be here. I hope Iâ€™m here for 25 more years.â€ť
BIG RUN â€” Thanks to a school holiday, some boys tossing the old pigskin around and an alert neighbor helped to avert a major catastrophe when a chimney connected to a wood burner caught the inside wall of a residence on fire at 2:30 p.m. Friday afternoon on Rear West Main Street, Big Run.
Perry Arrington and Joel Bowers, students in the Punxsutawney Area School District, were preparing to play football with another boy, when they saw the smoke coming from a residence owned by Jeff Pifer, Rear West Main Street, Big Run.
Arrington and Bowers were home Friday because of Groundhog Day.