February 29th, 2012
Mildred Bellas, Punxsutawney, died Wednesday, March 1, 2012, at Wellington Heights, Punxsutawney.
Arrangements are incomplete and under the direction of Shumaker Funeral Home Inc., Punxsutawney.
Alexis Jane Clark, infant, Big Run, died Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012.
She was born Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012, daughter of Deanna Surkala and Stephen Clark, who survive, of Big Run.
In addition to her parents, surviving relatives include her maternal grandparents, Joseph Surkala and Tamela Robinson, both of DuBois; her paternal great-grandparents, Catherine and Marty Clark of Punxsutawney; her paternal great-grandmother, Charlotte Young of Anita; her paternal grandfather, Michael Clark of Punxsutawney; and her paternal grandmother, Toni and step-grandfather Robert Lewis of Timblin.
Leonard Emberg, 84, Union City, passed away Monday, Feb. 27, 2012, at St. Vincent Health Center, Erie, surrounded by his loving family.
He was born in Punxsutawney, a son of the late Oscar and Liza (Chapman) Emberg.
Nov. 4, 1948, at the First United Methodist Church in Union City, he married Darlene Ballog, who survives. They celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary this past year.
Mr. Emberg attended Punxsutawney schools and then served in the U.S. Navy as a Seaman First Class during World War II.
He was retired from Barnes Group, Raymond Manufacturing, Corry.
Patricia Ann Zimmerman, 82, Oregon, Ohio, passed away Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012, in her home under hospice care.
She was born July 23, 1929, in Punxsutawney, a daughter of the late Francis and Florence (Kingsley) Lento.
She was the wife of Earl Zimmerman, who preceded her in death.
Mrs. Zimmerman was a member of the First Baptist Church in Oregon; the Eastern Star for many years; and CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates).
Surviving relatives include three daughters, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â While the Punxsy Chucks varsity basketball team prepares for its District IX championship game Saturday at Clarion University, the junior high basketball teams' seasons have come to a close.
The ninth-grade squad closed on a high note, winning two of its last three games, with the only loss being a close overtime loss to the Bradford Owls in the last game of the season.
I hate to admit this, but I used to be a little bit ashamed to call Punxsutawney my hometown.
I learned from an early age, as I traveled to roller hockey tournaments across the country, that telling people you were from Punxsutawney quickly drew the same question no matter where you found yourself visiting: "Hey, that's where that groundhog is from, right?"
Now, the embarrassment grew stronger as a teenager, after Bill Murray put Punxsutawney on the map for folks outside the quirky circle who had already heard of our little, local holiday.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â Damage was kept to a minimum at Wendyâs Old Fashioned Hamburgers on Hampton Avenue, when an electrical malfunction in the grill caused the building to fill with smoke at the heart of the lunch hour around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday.
According to Punxsutawney Fire Department Chief Bryan Smith, the fire began in the grill in the kitchen, although originally, it was reported that the fire had had gone into the roof through the grill hood.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â Just days after a school shooting near Cleveland, Ohio, Monday, a threat via social media at Jeff Tech and the lockdown of a Bradford area middle school, the superintendent of the Punxsutawney Area School District says there are ramifications for such behavior.
âThere are definite consequences from it,â Superintendent Dr. Keith Wolfe said Wednesday. âSo many times, someone could say, âWe were just messing around,â but you canât do that. You canât joke about something like that.â
PUNXSUTAWNEY â Budget discussions continued during the Punxsutawney Area School Boardâs monthly committee meeting Wednesday.
Business Manager Susan H. Robertson said the majority of the districtâs budget is fixed costs, so the administration needs the board and the public to brainstorm ways to save money. She also said that department budgets are being reviewed at this time.
Board members received handouts with suggestions on how to reduce spending budget and increase revenues for the district.
The location of the two fire alarms were:
• Rt. 119 South for a reported house fire
• Wendy's for a reported grill fire
Please read The Spirit for more information.