Archive - Sep 5, 2011
PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” The Lady Chucks hosted a soccer tournament Saturday with Clarion, Smethport and Keystone. Punxsy tied for third with Keystone. Clarion took first place, and Smethport rounded out the tournament in second.
The Lady Chucks were beaten by Clarion 3-0, which helped Clarion to win the overall title.
"It is sometimes a struggle in a loss to take away anything positive from the situation," Punxsy head coach Kevin Hughes said. "However, in our 3-0 loss to Clarion on Saturday, a lot of great stuff happened for us."
MONROEVILLE â€” The Punxsy girls cross country team traveled to Monroeville on Saturday to take part in the 23rd annual Gateway Invitational, held at Boyce Park.
Hot and humid weather conditions and a difficult course made for slower race times, but overall the team came away with some satisfying results.
Twila M. Enterline, 95, Punxsutawney, formerly of Mahoning Towers, died Sunday, Sept. 4, 2011, at Punxsutawney Area Hospital.
She was born April 16, 1916, in Grange, a daughter of the late Frank and Esther (Doverspike) Smith.
She was married to Kenneth W. Hinderliter and then Samuel P. Enterline, both of whom preceded her in death.
Mrs. Enterline was a housekeeper at Blose-McGregor Health Care in Punxsutawney.
She was a member of the Woodland Avenue United Methodist Church in Punxsutawney.
Robyn L. Voss, 54, Mahaffey, passed away Saturday, Sept. 3, 2011, at her home surrounded by her loving family.
She was born Oct. 20, 1956, in Punxsutawney, a daughter of the late Charles R. "Dick" Fetterman and Margaret "Peggy" (Hunter) Fetterman, who survives, of Mahaffey.
She married Robert Voss, who survives, of Mahaffey.
Mrs. Voss was employed by Ames for 17 years, and she was also employed at Mahoning Outdoor Furnace.
She played softball for theÂ Burnside Women's League.
ROSSITER â€” The cause of a garage fire that broke out in Rossiter early Saturday morning has yet to be determined.
The fire broke out in Emery Monoskey's garage around 6:30 a.m. Saturday on Center Street in Rossiter.
No one was injured.
However, heat from the garage fire caused minor damage to Monoskey's home, Joe Pisano Sr., fire chief of Rossiter's Volunteer Fire Company said.
Firefighters from Rossiter were the first to respond. Central Fire Department, Perry Township, Marion Center and Big Run also responded to the fire.
(The Spirit is pleased to share with our readers vignettes of life in the 19th Century as originally reported in past issues of the newspaper. These reprinted stories include their original headlines and spelling.)
(April 1, 1896)
Let Us Have a High School
What this town needs, as we have heretofore remarked on divers and sundry occasions, is a good high school, where our boys and girls can fit themselves to enter college. It is important beyond anything else.