Archive - Jun 2011
BROOKVILLE â€” Despite a no-hitter thrown by Brookville's Elaina Powell, DuBois took game one of the Little League softball All-Stars tournament, 13-9, Tuesday in Brookville.
DuBois took an early lead, going up 11-4 in the fourth, but Brookville made a sixth inning push, which proved to be too little, too late.
PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” Police and public officials are warning the public about the dangers of ingesting bath salts or smoking synthetic marijuana as a way to get high, because the results could be fatal.
Last Monday, Punxsutawney Borough Council passed a motion to send letters to all businesses in the borough, asking them not to sell either of the latest over-the-counter substances that are being used as synthetic drugs.
Police Chief Tom Fedigan said bath salts in a crystallized form and synthetic marijuana have a grassy
PUNXSUTAWNEY â€” If it seems there are more people who own property in Punxsutawney who arenâ€™t keeping up with mowing the grass this year, members of borough council would agree with you.
Code Enforcement Officer Mary McHenry said there appears to be more high-grass violations than in other years.
McHenry said in the beginning of the lawn mowing season, she was lenient due to the heavy rainfall this spring.
When people would complain about the neighborsâ€™ grass, she would say that she wanted to make sure the person in violation had enough time to cut it, she said.
Crowned Tuesday night, 2011 Laurel Queen Lidia Boghean (center) stands with the two first runners-up, Jayce Adams (left) and Hannah Fleming. This was the first year that two contestants tied for first runner-up.
Charles L. Henry, Big Run, died Tuesday, June 21, 2011, at home.Â
Arrangements are incomplete and under the direction of Brenda D. Shumaker Funeral Home Inc., Big Run.
Rose Marie Lattanzia, 87, Creekside, died Monday, June 20, 2011, at Mahoning Riverside Manor.
She was born July 9, 1923, in Punxsutawney, a daughter of the late Frank and Frances (Charles) Ferra.
She was married to Raymond Lattanzia, who preceded her in death.
Mrs. Lattanzia attended the Church of Resurrection, Ernest.
She was expecting to become a great-great-grandmother any day with the baby to be named Lakyn Rose.
Phyllis A. Vallis, 81, Clarion, died Monday, June 20, 2011, at her home.
She was born Jan. 16, 1930, in Timblin, a daughter of the late Leon and Nellie (Brocious) Vallies.
She attended the Callensburg Church of God and the Senior Center in Shippenville.
Surviving relatives include two brothers, Donald Vallies and Robert Vallies and wife Alice, all of Punxsutawney; three sisters, Nancy Papale of Penn Hills, Lois Bickel and husband Tom of Oil City, and Betty Mottern of Punxsutawney; and a special friend, Steven George.
Bernice M. Wetzel, 96, Rossiter, died Sunday, June 19, 2011, at Christ the King Manor, DuBois.
She was born Oct. 23, 1914, in Punxsutawney, a daughter of the late Clair H. and Velma (Fetterman) Brickell.
She was married to Norman R. Wetzel, who preceded her in death.
Mrs. Wetzel retired from the Punxsutawney Area School District in 1978 after serving as reading supervisor for many years.
She was a God-fearing lady who continued to serve others through volunteer work at her church and with a flow of encouraging words to those around her.
1. I never understand why sports fans riot after their team wins or loses. How is destroying your town going to quell the fact that your team just lost? I understand that some people live and die by their team, but people shouldn't live and die by their team. Vancouver doesn't deserve a winner when more than 140 are injured and there is more than $1 million in reported property damage after one hockey game.
BIG RUN â€” After a devastating fire Sunday, Big Run Carpet owner Jeff London, who vowed to keep his business running, received some surprise help.
Monday, local volunteer firefighters and community members presented him with two temporary shelters to house an office and carpet samples as he recovered from the blaze that destroyed his business. The shelters, one of which was sent over by local firefighters, were delivered to the scene of the fire on Thompson Street Monday.